Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
30013869

my macbook pro does not turn on this morning. Nothing on the

Customer Question

my macbook pro does not turn on this morning. Nothing on the screen. No sound of the motor turning on
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Does your MacBook Pro have a removal battery?

What color is the charge connector at the laptop (XXXXX, XXXXX)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the charge connector is white
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Connect the charger to your Mac then follow these steps. Please reply back with the results.

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

-Shut down the computer.

-Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously.

-Turn on the computer.

-Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

-Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the 2nd time.

-Release the keys and let your system boot up.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I'm going to try that but the computer is not turning on at all. The charger light is green (not white). Should I still try what you recommend?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Yes please.

After that has completed, or not please do the following (Select the appropriate process according to the battery status detachable/non-detachable):

Reset the SMC of a MacBook or MacBook Pro’s with detachable batteries:

* Shutdown the MacBook/Pro and remove the battery
* Disconnect the power adapter, hold the Power Key for 10 seconds
* Release the power key and reconnect your battery and power adapter
* Turn your Mac on
* Let boot as usual.

Reset SMC of a MacBook or MacBook Pro’s with an internal battery:

* Shutdown your MacBook/Pro
* Connect the power adapter to your Mac
* On the MacBook/Pro’s keyboard, hold down the Shift+Control+Option keys and the Power button at the same time
* Release all keys and the power button at the same time
* Boot your Mac as usual

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we just tried what you suggested with the detachable battery. Computer still not turning on.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
This is getting serious...Please continue with these steps.

-Disconnect any devices connected to the computer including printers, hubs, and third-party keyboards or mice, and test the computer again by trying to turn it on.

-Find out whether the battery on your Apple portable has power.

For a MacBook or MacBook Pro: Press the small button on the side or bottom of the computer, depending on the model. Lights should indicate the battery's level of charge. A single blinking light means the battery needs to be recharged. Connect the adapter to recharge the battery.

-Unplug the power adapter from the electrical outlet and from the MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro. Wait one minute. Plug it back into the wall first, then to the computer. Make sure the electrical outlet is working by plugging in another device (such as a lamp). When you plug the adapter back into the computer, the power adapter LED should light up green or amber.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when we press the small button on the bottom of the computer 5 green lights go on for 2 or 3 seconds and then they all go off.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Have you made any hardware changes to your Mac recently (RAM, etc).

How old is your Mac and do you have AppleCare?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know how old it is and we don't have apple care but we are on the phone with them now. How can you back up information on your HD when the computer is off. Is there any way to do so?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, there is not way to backup your Mac in that condition. It does not sound like your hard drive is the issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I guess that is a good sign. We were on the phone with Apple Care and they think it is the logic board. Does that mean we can recover data from the HD? I hope so! We have been backing up but it has been a few days since the last backup.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you should be ok. It does sound like the logic board or perhaps the power button.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thanks so much.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
You're very welcome! Good luck with the repair of your MacBook Pro.