Matt Brody
Matt Brody, Mac Genius
Experience:  Mac OS, Mac Video Applications Expertise, Mac Applications, Networking, Productivity

Hi I have been using hotmail for nearly 20 years on PCs and

Customer Question

I have been using hotmail for nearly 20 years: on PCs and laptops. Before that I had a Mac SE, Powerbook and also used a Unix system. Now for the last month I have my new baby - a MacBook Air. I still want to continue to use hotmail - an old and trusted friend.
I'm now in the UK on vacation, but before leaving Melbourne an old friend (and Mac afficianado) spent 3 hours with me getting me started and up-to-speed. We downloaded all my Inbox, but have had no success in downloading the other boxes (Sent, Draft etc) PLUS my list of Contacts (about 300) and a few Groups.
Please can you help me?
Martin ([email protected])
Category: Mac
Expert:  Matt Brody replied 5 years ago.
Hello, what program are you using on your Mac to receive your emails through hotmail? Mac mail?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not sure, but I don't think so. How can I move to Mac mail to solve the problem WHILST keeping my hotmail address (MOST IMPORTANT)? AND catch up with the Sent, Draft, Contacts etc boxes?
Ok, Go into your applications folder on your mac and open "mail". Then it should prompt you to start a new account. Here you should be able to choose hotmail from the list. Let me know when you've done that. Hotmail has an IMAP account which is what you are looking to have.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I opened "mail" as you suggested - it was in fact already open. However it did not prompt me to start a new account. Somewhere else I clicked on something which threw up something like "open a new account on top of your other account". I put in "MartinsMail" - should that be any help.
Don't forget my first message - I haven't used a Mac for 20 years so am reacquainting myself with it!
eg How do you copy text, as per CTRL c and CTRL v in XP?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.