Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
30013869

I have forgotten my password. I try about every word,, but

I have forgotten my password. I try about every word,, but it is denied. I want to upgrade my Apple Macmini.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Here's the process to change the Admin Password. Thank you.

Installation DVD
If you have forgotten the administrator password XXXXX your system and have no other administrative access, you can use the OS X installation DVD to reset the password. To do this, follow this procedure:

1. Insert the installation DVD and restart the system with the C key held down.
  2. Select your language in the installer, and then select Reset Password XXXXX the Utilities menu.
  3. Select the Admin account and then reset the password.
  4. Restart the computer.

This method can be used to reset the password XXXXX any account in the system so you can log in to that account from the log-in window.

No installation DVD
While the first two methods for resetting a password XXXXX the preferred ones, there are times when you may not have an installation DVD and don't have administrative access to the system to reset an account's password. In these cases, the following procedure should work:

1. Reboot the system and hold the Command and S keys down during start-up.
  2. When the command prompt shows, enter one of the following command options (either will work):

Command 1:

passwd USERNAME

Command 2:

dscl . -passwd /Users/USERNAME

In these commands, USERNAME is XXXXX XXXXX name of the account. This is usually the name of the user's home folder, so at this same command prompt you can list the home folders on the system by running the following command:

ls /Users

1. When a new password XXXXX been set for the account, restart the system by entering "reboot" at the command prompt.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
How did that work out for you?