Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

When I enable a hyperlink to an external page in the Inspector

Customer Question

When I enable a hyperlink to an external page in the Inspector panel... then input the info in the URL panel and then save, the moment I make hyperlinks active, or click anywhere else, the field automatically reverts to: and opens the Apple start page!

Also, if I publish to a local folder it gives me a URL beginning: Files:///Users etc. etc. which I can't use as a link to an external page in the Inspector panel... or as a link to my own pages.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
When you are building the page you should turn off hyperlinks or it gets annoying. If you publish does it work correctly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I always leave the hyperlinks turned off when working on the site. I have only been publishing to a folder while still working on the site. The problem that has brought all of this to the fore is that I want to use several anchors on the home page, which is quite long. I know now that iWeb doesn't support anchors, and understand that there are several workarounds, put out by, Cyclosaurus and others, all of which I have tried after trawling the web for answers. And it here that I come up against the problems with the folder URL and the Inspector URL reverting automatically to I have also tried using MassReplaceit, as laid out in the iWeb guide put out by to get anchors working on my Home page, ... but even that has not worked for either. Im starting to get desperate.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Disk Utility tells me that the disk is corrupted and needs to be repaired it advises I should restart the computer with the installation disk and repair the HD. In the meantime, while I'm doing that... the info you requested is:
OSX 10.6.6
2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo
2Gb 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
I'll get back to you as soon as I've been through the repair process (if it works!!)
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok if you can repair the disk also repair permissions and then run Software update on restart
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I am signing off for tonight you can get me after 10 am CST.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, I have repaired the disk and the permissions... and am in the process of downloading iWeb3.0.3 (I have iWeb 2.0.4) But have just tried to do go through the motions again with theiWeb indpector... and if I input:..file:///Users/iaintrish/Desktop/Site_3/Home_3.html... which is my local folder for iWeb, in the URL field... it still automatically reverts to:... where to now?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I have to sign off for tonight can we continue tomorrow?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that'd be great... problem is the time difference. we're in Australia (East Coast) and we'll be still asleep for a while when you're getting into the day. Will respond as soon as we can.
Cheers again,
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You cannot use a link from your hard drive folder that will not work the internet does not know where your hard drive is you have to get the link from your live site. Understand?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, but this still does not address the question of how I can avoid the default URL in the inspector ( returning unwanted whenever I input another URL and then click make hyperlinks active.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Because it knows that is not a valid URL.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll be away from my computer for a couple of hours... will respond then.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry for the delay. I've played around with your sugestions and they seem to have solved the problem... so thanks for your advice. I'm clicking the accept answer button.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Thank you