Molinari
Molinari, Computer Technician
Experience:  A+ Certified, expert at grey areas, expert since C-64, amiga, and macs were black and white...
16561526

Outgoing AOL Spam

Customer Question

IF YOU CANNOT HELP, LET ME KNOW NOW. I NEED TO GO TO SLEEP! My x account is spewing forth spam mail to everyone I know! I signed up for AOL in the early 1990's. so I do not remember what credit card I used, and I no longer remember the answers to my challenge questions to change my password. How can you help me stop the virus from being sent out under my account? Thanks. Mark

If I went to you by accident and should have gone to an AOL-specific person, please redirect me person to the appropriate person (and don't charge me the $38 I will have to pay them)!

Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

This can happen for three reasons :

1. Your computer is infected with Malware / Spamware and so your computer automatically sends these emails.

To take care of Issue 1 please do this as a precaution:

Please download - click here >> Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

• Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:

• Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• Then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. The rogue application should now be gone.

2. Your email address is used by Spamming servers who use your identity to send emails. These are not genuine emails and do not originate from your computer. It is spam and if your email address is already there on such spam websites than there is not much you can do. Basically those websites send emails in your name and most email services filter such spam easily, you need to either ignore such emails or change your email address as there is no way of getting hold of thousands of spamming websites.

3. Or someone has actually gotten your password.
In which case:

1. Click here to see if you can reset your AOL account password.
If that fails, try here: http://tinyurl.com/ForgotAOLPassword

2- Enter your aol username, the word in image, and click NEXT

3- Enter your birthdate, gender and zipcode, and click SUBMIT

4- Then you will receive instructions to reset your password.

Also, change your security questions/answers.

If you have gone through the resetting the password process and the answers to your security questions have been changed, unfortunately, it is very unlikely that you will be able to recovery your account, since there is no way to verify your account.

The number to AOL support is 1-800-827-3338, 1-800-265-4357, 1-800-265-8003, but I will need to forewarn you, unless you have the AOL paid service, there will not be much you can do, because you will not be able to verify your identity.

If you do have AOL paid, verification will be easy because you just need to verify your billing information.

The problem with free e-mail services is that they rely on security question/answer combinations for verification. If you forget these and/or your account is hacked and a hacker changes the info, you have no way to verify your account. With paid e-mail services, you can easily verify your identity by verifying your billing information.