Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

have downloaded newest version of itunes to my mac however

Customer Question

have downloaded newest version of itunes to my mac however I am only running OS 10.4.11 now this is effecting my email and internet. how do uninstall this and get older version so itunes works
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

version 10.4.11

processor dual 2.36 GHz PowerPC G5
4.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
It will be very difficult to try and go back to an older version many features will not work and if you have any othere Apple devices like iPhone or iPad they will not work either. I recommend you upgrade to Leopard 10.5 rather than try to downgrade iTunes even if it were possible. Many other things will stop working with 10.4 also and because you have a G5 and most companies will not support it with new versions of software..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

upgrading to 10.5 is not an option as this presents problems with illustrator and photoshops is there any other way

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What version of Adobe products do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
CS2
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes that might be a problem but I see others are using it OK:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/10/adobe_apps_on_leopard_what_you_need_to_kno.html

I can’t speak for other app teams, but while we naturally concentrated our testing on Photoshop CS3 (and beyond), we also tested CS2 a fair bit. The only significant problem we discovered is that Photoshop CS2′s Web Photo Gallery module can crash while running under Leopard.

In the long run you will have to upgrade to Intel Mac so is that an option?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not at present. was given this mac from brother as he had to upgrade to newer versions. I run this for my small business and don't want to upgrade as yet

is there a way I can just uninstall itunes and reinstall an earlier version so my email and internet can go back to normal? internet and email are priority not itunes

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
iTunes has nothing to do with email or internet what is the problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this seems to be the only thing i can think of that has caused problem as this is the only upgrade I have done on machine - downloaded upgrade of itunes as just purchased iphone.

email will not send attachments and internet is so slow - get to landing pages alright but if need to log into page ie facebook takes so long that I just give up

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

version 10.4.11

processor dual 2.36 GHz PowerPC G5
4.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM

ran verify disk and it failed : '1 HFS volume needs repair'
however the 'repair disk' button is there but not available to click on

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I figured as much. Do you have a backup? You should do this but you should also have a backup first.

Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks will back up today

don't have system disk as at brothers studio - not getting until tomorrow. will try above when I get disk.

how do i keep this enquiry open until then?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Just bookmark this page, there is another way:

Go to link below and download AppleJack open and install, then restart and hold Command and S keys. When you get to the command prompt type

applejack auto restart

then hit Return.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15667/applejack
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
should i back up first?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have done a backup and run applejack

still no good emails can not be sent with attachments and internet is still extremely slow

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK your original question was not about email so let’s get the other problem fixed. Please go here and tell me what your speed is as well as the ping test results:

http://pingtest.net/

http://www.speedtest.net/

Also open Macintosh HD and tell me how much space is open on the drive at the bottom next to Available.