Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

What do I do to get my outgoing email service to work agai

Customer Question

What do I do to get my outgoing email service to work again? Refusals have been accompanied by: "The sender address has been rejected by the server." and "The SMPT server '' rejected the password XXXXX user 'Mary' "  No problem receiving.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Make sure you are using and also have SSL turned on and the port should be 465, let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Questions: 1) How do I make sure I'm using I.e., what moves do I make to get this info? 2) What do I do, where do I look to find out if the SSL is turned on? 3) What do I do to find out if the port is 465?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
What program are you using to access your email?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry to say, Mike, I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to this kind of thing. I would say that it is All I can add that for more than a few years I have had absolutely no problems in sending out email, and all of a sudden I can't. Nothing has changed, I've paid my bills, and now this frustration.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I determine my "program"?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
When your email is open what is the word next to the Apple logo at the top left?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Next to the logo top left (an apple with a bite out of it) is the word "Mail".
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK for future reference you are using Apple’s Mail program. Go to Mail / Preferences / Accounts select the account on the left and you will see all the settings on the right.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have done that. To the left are the following: over POP and At&t over POP
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Do you have two accounts?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Again, I can't say anything that's completely sure. I pay only one bill per month on(NNN) NNN-NNNNto AT&T for the internet service service [email protected] That would seem to be only one account.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Well then one of them is wrong you should delete one of them. There should also be two accounts listed under you Mailboxes can you figure out which is correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The two accounts are AT&T and sbcglobal. Wouldn't know which one to delete.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
AT&T and sbc global are the same, don‘t you see two Inboxes??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Only one inbox, through which we receive all incoming mail, including messages through (no outgoing service through earthlink).
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Well I’m not sure how you are doing that but that is probably part of the problem. You shoul not have two AT&T accounts. Here are the settings for AT&T for Apple Mail please check against this:

Go here and put in Mac Mail under the dropdown to get the settings:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear XXXXX, I give up. You have, I am sure, done your best to solve this goddam problem, therefore I elect to have you paid for your efforts. I do this both to infuse a bit of cash into this limping economy and to thank you for what you have tried to accomplish. Attribute the failure not any defect on your part, but rather to my incompetence in technological matters. It would have helped, no doubt, if I could have actually spoken with you.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I can go through the settings with you or do you not feel up to it?