Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Can you help me find my lost Photos

Can you help me find my lost Photos?
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
version 10.6.7./ Processor:1.23 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/ Memory 2GB 667 MHz DDR 2 SD RAM.
Now I'm going on to the Application folder to do what you suggest
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. Sorry that was longer than i thought.
Some "Permissions differ" on System /Library/Java/Ja
and 1 "User differs"
Was Verify Disk ok?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES,
OK so you tried to Share from iPhoto and now the pictures are gone?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is correct
They are all gone or just some?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Most of them. I had about 1,400 and now have about 250/ perhaps a different Library?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Incidentally, I got that new desktop thanks to your advise to a previous question. Thanks a million for that!
Quit iPhoto and then hold Option and open iPhoto is there more than one library listed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are 3!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've just tried opening each of the 3, and they are all the same... just 204 photos.
Then I opened the 4th 0ption: Downloads.
A popup tells me:"...photo libraru needs to be upgraded for this version of iPhoto...
It must be an old library you can go ahead with that upgrade the library.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry. I need to go away for a while. Can I get back to you in a couple of hours?
OK when you come back we need to do this for every library you have. Quit iPhoto hold Option and Command and open iPhoto check all boxes and Rebuild.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am getting frustrated.
The computer has been looking for upgrades (in iPhoto) for about an hour.Then I get that same popup telling me the library needs to be upgraded, so it's just going around in circles1
so, I tried checking my iDisk hoping an old library might be in there. But am told that "folder can't be opened because you don't have permission to see its contents!
OK Quit iPhoto open it again using the Option key and pick a different library, then quit iPhoto hold Option and Command and open iPhoto check all boxes and Rebuild.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike.
I tried this on my old computer (where the photos were originally) but only got 29 photos back. Then I tried searching on my iDisk, found one, but I cannot open it because it is "Locked" ( new question for you to answer... the icon has a sync beside it which is not turning). HOWEVER, I tried everything again on my new computer, and there I recovered the Library that was on my iDisk. Now, how do I get it back on the old one?
Sorry I am not understanding you. The library on the iDisk where did that come from? Was that a backup? Do a search for iPhoto library everywhere you can think of unless you have named it something else. You said there was more than one you have to rebuild ALL of them since you don‘t seem to know which it was.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry to be confusing you.
I rebuilt all the libraries on my old computer - they were pretty much the same, missing most of the ones I thiught were lost.
The one that is on my iDisk is one you had suggested in the past I drag into the disk because Backup failed each time.
My question now is about the iDisk Sync which doesn't seem to work, and I don't know how to start it. I'm guessing that is why the Library it contains is "Locked". That is the one I recovered on my new computer.
You have to copy it back to you computer you can’t open it from the iDisk.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll try that, but still don't know how to sync my iDisk. Is there a place where I can activate it?
For large files like that I would just rely on a Time Machine backup with an external drive. iDisk won't be reliable for large files.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Terrific. Take good care of yourself because I don't know what i would do if you were not around to help me! Thanks for your help.
I'll be in Spain for 6 months - with a new set of MAC problems?
Bye for now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HI MIKE!
I'm not sure you've received the question I just sent you, so I shall repeat it here.
Since I have found the complete iPhoto Library, on my new MAC, I shall back it up on an external drive. After I've done that, can I then SAFELY delete ALL the iPhoto Libraries on both computers and then import the one from the hard drive? That would get rid of the "extras" which only confuse me, and which are contained in the complete Library.
I won't do any of this before you answer me!
Yes you can but you should make sure you are trashing the right one and you should also have a backup of the new one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I hope your tutoring has penetrated my poor mind.
I shall follow your suggestions.
Will the Library I re-import be in my Home, in the Pictures folder? Otherwise, where?
Basically when you double click on a library it becomes the default library so the next time you open iPhoto it opens that library no matter where it is. I don’t know where your libraries are now. You can also select the library by holding Option and opening iPhoto, hope that answers your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks again for your patience and courtesy
Have a great day! Bye for now.
OK good luck.