Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am trying to create a circle in illustrator

Customer Question

I am trying to create a circle but I want say 2 triangles overlayed on that circle and the parts of the circle in a triangle shape to be a different colour.
Sorry, I am using Adobe illustrator.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
What version of Illustrator?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
CS5 (15.1.0)
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Can you send me the file you are talking about?

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much. You will see in the file i have sent you I have a full circle. I have overlayed 2 triangles. Basically I want a full circle, but where the triangles are i want these parts to be a different colour if that makes sense?

File is uploaded.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
What color do you want it to be and do you want the cirles edges to show through?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I want the majority of it to be grey and the part where the triangles are to be a light blue. I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if i want edges to show through?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I mean do you want the edges of the cirles that are black to show through?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Please download the edited file from my FTP is that what you were trying to do?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry... my triangles confused it. What I am wanting is the actual line itself in that triangle section to be blue. so each circle outline has 2 colours to it... hmmmm not sure if i can actually articulate what I want. so I don't actually want a triangle shape at all... but those parts of the circle in that triangle section to be blue.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You want just the borders (stroke) to be that color in those areas and not the fill is that correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes! sorry! that is correct!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
shit! i accidently pressed accept I think... can you still send me file as obviously this wasn't completed/
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Done look at the new version.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my anxiety just decreased by about a thousand! exactly what I was trying to do! so how did you do that? thank you sooooo much!
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I duplicated the cirles with a blue border then made them a Compound Path then also made the triangles a Compound Path then masked the cirles using the triangles. If you pull it apart you will see there are two sets of circles and a third to add the shadow behind the rest.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok cool... that should help me going forward! I have been going crazy! thanks so much for your help!
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No problem good luck.