Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have a PowerBook G4 which I have had for about ten years.

Customer Question

I have a PowerBook G4 which I have had for about ten years. The Iphoto application was only updated two or three times since I bought the computer. All of a sudden, the application quit working yesterday and now I can't get into my 3800 photos. Can I save my pictures? What can I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi My name is Ashik. I hope i can help you.

Don't worry, Your Pictures are safe. We can try to rebuild your iPhoto Library and see if that works or not..

Rebuild iPhoto Library
  1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

If that didn't worked then rebuild your iPhoto Library with this application, iPhoto Library Manager (just try the trial version) :

Please follow the instructions in here to rebuild your iPhoto Library with iPhoto Library Manager :

Let me know if that didn't worked..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I followed all of the instructions. They did not work.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Are you getting any errors when you open iPhoto ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ii am not getting any errors. When I open Iphoto, the program stops short of opening the library. It opens to four items across the top menu. File, Edit, Window and Help. Under file I can import or export or open a new album. These are not the elements I usually open to when I open Iphoto. The original Iphoto icon is now gone. I have been using an Icon called Iphoto copy.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Goto Macintosh HD > Users > your user account > Pictures folder and can you see the iPhoto Library in there ?

Try to extract the photos from iPhoto Library using the iPhoto Library Manager

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The Pictures folder holds an Iphoto library which contains no pictures from 2011 or 2010. I have a backup copy of my library on disc. I don't quite understand how to use the Iphoto Library Manager to extract the photos. Can you elaborate?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
You said you have the backup of your Library on your disc. Do you still have the disc with you now ?