Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My mac started freezing up and crashing. Could I have a virus,

My mac started freezing up and crashing. Could I have a virus, and if so, should I take my mac to an apple store for service?
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

It might not be a virus, but its possible that either it is a hardware problem or just software problem. Try the basic troubleshooting steps below and see if that works or not...

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know how it goes....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Ashik,
I've done the first 2 suggestions, and would like to give you more information.
Solution 1... I have no idea if it worked, but I did it.

Solution 2....Started up in tiny, tiny fonts and icons. I had to put in my security password, too. This unrequested default to tiny icons has happened before. I shut down, and everything comes back normal sized, without me doing anything to change the size.

Also, I think nothing has been fixed yet because the progress wheel on the grey screen took ages to wind itself up.

I've noticed the clock stopping, if I go off to make a coffee and leave the MAC,when I come back, the screen could be black, or blue, or simply frozen so I cannot close anything.

Last night, I was in the middle of an online charity auction, and with 4 minutes to go, I couldn't do a thing, and had to unplug the computer and restart it. (I got my winning bid in with a second to spare!)

Now, I'm going to try the 3rd solution ....fsck. I trust that it will be obvious where to type the code?
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. This should boot into Single User Mode. It should look like a console winow, white letters in black screen. Then type the commands. Let me know if that didn't worked...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did that. Is it normal to see a message in white on the black screen :

hi mem tramps at Oxffe00000

Answer me that, and although I won't know for a day or so whether or not you have solved my problem, I will consider your answer satisfactory.

Best wishes,
Rowena Cherry
Nope, i think "hi mem tramps at Oxffe00000" indicates a RAM problem. And your Mac will slow down or crash if there is any problem with RAM.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do I do about a RAM problem? That's memory, isn't it? Do I need to clear stuff off my hard drive, or is this something for the Apple store?
Yes, that is Memory but not the Hard disk Memory. RAM is called Primary Memory and Hard Disk is called Secondary Memory. Clearing the Hard disk won't help. You need to find out which RAM is bad or damaged. Take out the RAMs from your Mac and re-seat them. Let me know if you need help with that....