Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

MS PowerPoint 2011 for Mac. I have all current updates. When

Customer Question

MS PowerPoint 2011 for Mac. I have all current updates. When I try to create a PDF of the notes page, the PDF has missing lines and words from many of the slides. Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mac OS X Ver. 10.6.7; Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7; Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I have already performed verification of disk and repair permission twice. I just did it a 3rd time. Verify Disk - Disk OK; Repari Permissions - Permissions repair complete.

The problem is with the MS PowerPoint program. The older version of MS PowerPoint performs the task of making a PDF of the PowerPoint notes beautifully. The 2011 version drops words, entire lines, charts, etc. I tried one more time after doing what you asked and it has the same malfunction.

Can you help or not?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes I did not say that would fix it and I did not tell you to try it again I said "Let's check some things."

Does it do that with all files or just one? Can you send me the file?

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Also is Office up to date? Open any office program and go to Help/Check for updates.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It does it with all files I have tried (over a dozen). I will send a file...

Yes, MS Office is up to date (i.e. I have checked weekly for Office updates since purchasing the program in December 2010).
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I am guessing there is a problem with your fonts. I converted it and I think it is fine look on my FTP again. IntroPetFdNotes.pdf

Go here and download Maintenance for 10.6:
http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php
install and run it follow the directions and check all boxes then Execute. Restart.Then try it again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I downloaded Snow Leopard Maintenance for 10.6. When I opened it on my desktop it instructed me to drag it into my Utilities or Applications folder. I did that. There were no other instructions or boxes to check. I restrated my computer. I opend a PowerPoint file, hit print, print handouts (6 per page, black and white, no borders, fit to page, do not print hidden slides), and save as a PDF. When I viewed the preview pages I saw the same thing - missing words and lines (i.e. nothing changed).
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes it is an application you drag it to your folder and then double click on it like any other application????
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I did not understand that one had to "run" the program. So, I did run the program and it completed its "maintenance" followed by a restart. After re-starting, I again tried the print, save as a PDF and nothing has changed.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did you se the version I put on the FTP, I did not check it thoroughly is it ok?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where do I find the FTP?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Also I don‘t know what you mean by “notes page” there are no notes in the document you sent me.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I teach. My students want "electronic" copies of the slides. We never give them PowerPoint files. Instead, when the PP file is open, click print, in the print screen choose to print 6 slides/page, etc. Then, instead of printing, in the lower left, choose save as a PDF. That is how we save our lecture notes as PDF files. However, before going to all of that trouble, one can simply hit the preview box and examine what the notes pages will look like. This is where PP 2011 screws up - lines, words, graphs are lost. In the older version this did NOT occur.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I did not do it that way. Did you look at the file is anything missing, I just used the built in PDF conversion in Office by going to Save As / PDF. Try that method.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That does not work because I need a "notes" page view - 6 slides per page. Do you understand?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
But there aren’t any notes do you mean you just want to print blank note pages?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I missed that there are notes let me look again.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
On which pages are the notes missing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Every page has one or more slides with missing text.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Please look at the two I just uploaded:

Acrobat Pro.pdf
Built In PDF.pdf

Tell me if anything is missing and on what page
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You are NOT understanding what I mean nor need.

I need to be able to print, black and white note pages of the PP files and send electronic PDF copies.

What you have done is create huge PDF files that are not what I need.

The program is supposed to be able to make accurate notes pages of the PP files. The MS PP 2011 is not doing that. I have used MS PP to make lecture notes since it was first avaiable in the 90's.

Take my file. Open it. Click print. When you get the print page, choose to print notes with 6 slides per page (it its a drop down option), choose black and white and then look at the preview. Compare the small slides on the notes page with the original PP file slides. You will see what I am talking about.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I do understand and if you choose Handouts 6 slides per page it WILL NOT print the notes you have to choose Notes and that is the only choice for Notes printing.

See picture:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry, but I do not understand what you mean. I just printed the notes and yes, they are missing lines of text.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Handouts DO NOT contain notes. Notes are meant for the presenter only, and Handouts are meant for the spectators, that is the way it is supposed to be. You keep talking about a “notes page”, notes are hidden and only show up when presenting on two monitors and when printing by choosing Notes. The files I sent you are the ONLY WAY notes will get printed, I just did not choose B&W. Am I missing something??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, my mistake. You are correct about the notes. What I need is for the information in the PP file to be printed and/or save as a PDF in the "handout" format with 6 slides/page and in B&W. How do we fix it so that MS PP 2011 does not delete random words, lines and garphs?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes I see there is something very weird about the document the words appear black at times and those are the words that don’t print. Let me check further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK please look at the file called:

IntroPetFdNotes-edited.ppt

I cannot figure out what is wrong but I did fix it unfortunately by rebuilding the slide, see slides 2 and 3.. I copied and pasted but I used the template so I pasted where it says Click to Add... in Title and bullets, now it prints and also shows up as it is supposed to in the Outline I think that is the only way to fix it. Sorry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Interesting, because in other PP files I have tried the same thing but it did NOT work! I am unable to "rebuild" some 200+ lectures only to have a few work and the rest NOT work! Why did all of the previous versions of PP work on these same files? What is wrong with the MS PP 2011 version? Is there anyway to contact MS regarding this issue? I have searched around the internet and have not found a way I could contact them. In all previous versions of MS Office, I have been able to contact MS directly.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Was this file edited with Windows at any time? The fact that you can’t see any of the copy in Outline means it was not built correctly you have to use the Click here fields to make that work.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Plus you are not saving it in native format for PPT 2011 which is pptx format.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have uploaded another PP file where all of the characters show up in the outline. However, when I tried to print the handout version (checked the preview), entire lines of text were missing, just as I have experienced in the past. Regarding saving in the "pptx" format, I have tried that too and got the same results.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
That is a totally different file and I can’t keep doing this forever, you will see the file has the same problem as the other with the font showing up black and that is the copy that won’t print. It seems to be a problem with PPT on both platforms I suggest if you have to send B&W PDFs you use black text on a light background, that is not a problem when trying to print B&W only light text on dark is the problem. See test slide.pptx on the FTP.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I never received a final answer nor help with my actual problem. I responded to his last response and have not heard back. I need to see if I can find a solution to my problem.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I gave you the solution: