Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I get a message reading The connection to the server

I get a message reading "The connection to the server "" on port 993 timed out". What does this mean? How do I address the problem.
Change it to, let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have tried this, but it keeps reverting back to, despite numerous attempts to "save".
Do you have any other suggestions?
Are you using Apple Mail program?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK go to and tell me if all your mail and folders are there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, they are. (I seemed to be on the german me site today, but I guess that's not relevant)
In that case I would just delete the account in Mail and set it up again and let it automatically configure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to go now, and will get back to you tomorrow
OK let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, my attempt to delete and set up the email account again has gone wrong. The system is trying to load all my emails, but seems unable to load except at a snail's pace., and I have difficulty sending mail. So I have done something horribly wrong. I am having to use my I-Pad. I will get some help from my son over the weekend on this, so won't be able to let you know if the whole exercise has got rid of my "Port
993 time-out" problem until Monday,
Yes is IMAP email so it will take a few hours to load everything for the first time depending on how much email you have, that is normal.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, you are right. It took a while to load. But it is the right solution as everything is working again, and the PORT 993 problem has gone away. So, thank you. I accept your answer.
Great good luck.