loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.

My hard drive stopped showing its icon on my laptop deskto

Customer Question

My hard drive stopped showing its icon on my laptop desktop.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

Welcome To JA. My name is Cory.

Here are the steps provided my Apple:

In the Finder, choose Preferences from the Finder menu.

Click the General icon on the toolbar.

Select "Hard disks" in the "Show these items on the desktop:" section.

Close the Finder Preferences window.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hard disks" in the "Show these items on the desktop was already checked. I think i by mistake disconnected the wire to the external hard disk. Did it damage it?
Expert:  loadedmind replied 2 years ago.
Please open Finder, then navigate to Applications, then Utilities and launch Disk Utility. If you can see your hard drive (please ensure your hard drive is connected to the Mac) in the list, select it by clicking on it once and then choose "Verify Disk" on the far right, toward the bottom. After the verify is finished, you should be able to see the Hard Disk icon in Finder and on the Desktop.

**** IMPORTANT ****
Please note I am now providing you with the option to Accept. Here's what you need to know before you click ANYTHING: I do NOT want you to click Accept if the suggestion/Answer I've provided does not resolve your issue. I don't want to get paid for my work unless you're 100% satisfied. Also, please note that if you decide to click Accept and you have a followup question, feel free to use the same link you were given to that particular question and I'll be glad to assist you. If the question isn't relevant to the original question, please use the bit.ly link in my signature to open a new question with me. Thanks!

Regards,
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.