Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I grab all of my files from the desktop and place them in a

Customer Question

I grab all of my files from the desktop and place them in a folder. Now I open that folder, I see all of my documents, try to open one, and I get a message that says "could not be open because the original item cannot be found".

After carefully review I realized that all the files automatically develop an alias of them when I place them in this one folder. I also can see the original.

What can I do to open my files again? The options I get with the above message are... Delete alias---fix alias...and...ok..

I press.. fix alias, then a window open that says "select new original", but the original is grayout and can't be selected. Please help me.

Thank you

Lily
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You have to make sure your files are actual files and not aliases, what are you triyng to accomplish?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am trying to open my files again.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
But why are you putting them in a folder is there a purpose? If you can't open the file before you moved it you won't be able to open it after.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this was a one time event, I need it to clear my desktop for a few minutes, so I grab them all and place them in a folder...5 minutes later I grab them from the folder and place them back on the desktop....but now I am unable to open them.

I was able to open all those file before I grab them I place them inside a "new folder". The only difference I see is that each of the files has been automatically duplicated with the name "ALIAS" behind each file name.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You just highlighted them and dragged them to a folder?

First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I just Highlighted them and dragged them to a folder.

version 10.4.11
processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
memory 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Don't see any repair Permission obtion

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You have Disk Utility open? You don't see Verify Disk and Repair permissions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That is correct, I have disk Utility open and don't see verify Disk and Repair Permission
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You have to choose your hard drive on the left to see it please read the directions again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I choose Macintosh HD, then I went to Applications folder then to Utilities then to Disk Utility.

Under Disk Utility I press info and there is no verify disk or repair permission..
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What do you mean under Disk Utility double click it to open it, see picture:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Found it
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I press on repair permission...it says repair permission completed. what now?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did you Verify Disk first and get OK in green?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK you have to realize that many icons on your desktop are already aliases or shortcuts. Give me an example of one that you can't open.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't open none of the files on my desktop. not even one, not the original, not the one that says "Alias" at the end of each fine name.

when I try I get a window that said "could not be open because the original item cannot be found".
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I asked for an example. Give me one you are sure is there somewhere.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok am sorry I don't understand, I can see all of my files on my desktop, they are not lost I can see them, I just can't open them.

How exactly do I give you one example?.. I apologize but obviously am not a computer person, Please forgive me for not understanding.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Go here and download Maintenance for 10.4:
http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php
install and run it follow the directions and check all boxes then Execute. Restart.

I have to sign off for the evening but you can come back her anytime after 10 am CST, is that ok?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's perfect. Thank you
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok come back when ready.