Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Mike, this is Shelley again. I had asked this question earlier

Mike, this is Shelley again. I had asked this question earlier to you but we never completed it. My entourage is not working. when i open it, it starts, and then attempts to get messages, but it never does. i just get the wheel going and then i have to force quit entourage. what is more confusing is that i have the same thing happen on my mac pro and my imac. can you help me with this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Sorry did I take this question previoulsy?

First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
version 10.6.3; processor 2.16 GHz intel Core 2 Duo; memory 2 GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM

OK i have verified disk and repaired permissions.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok now go to Software Update under the Apple logo and run that.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Oh yes sorry I don' even look at customer usernames anymore since many of them are computer generated. Let me know after you have done that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. well there were six updates and i am still on the first one (an update to a canon printer).
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
When those are all done please open Word and go to Help / Check for Updates
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I was about to sign off but I will wait for my new favorite customer, Shelley, let me know.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I think that will take a while can we continue tomorrow?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
boy it took a long time to download the updates. sorry. i will now open word.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
boy it took a long time to download the updates. sorry. i will now open word. of course we can continue tomorrow. thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Sorry we cross posted come back tomorrow when you are ready anytime after 10 am CST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Mike. I am back. i downloaded all the updates.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK restart and then hold Option and open Entourage, Rebuild the database.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I rebuilt the database.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK try Entourage again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. It does the same thing. it acts like it is booting up and then it states that it is retrieving messages and then nothing. i have to go to finder to force quit it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ooops. i clicked on the "acceot" button by mistake. i am sorry.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Try holding down the Shift key when starting Entourage. This disables any
schedule that might be running at startup (such as Send & Receive All) check the outbox for any files that might be too large to send. Let me know.
Mike, Mac Medic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh, i am so happy. that fixed it. The only thing is I am not getting images on my messages. for example, your message did not have any of the pictures, like the thumbnail picture of you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike. i figured out my last question. Thank you so very much for helping me with this entourage problem. You have done such a great job helping me.