Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
30013869

my computer is infected. What do I do

my computer is infected. What do I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

This is not an Anti-Spyware service. This is a phishing scam. Here are the steps to remove it from your Mac:

DO NOT PROVIDE THE WEBSITE WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION.

Please follow these steps to remove the MacDefender Malware:

• Move or close the Scan Window
  • Go to the Utilities folder in the Applications folder and launch Activity Monitor
  • Choose All Processes from the pop up menu in the upper right corner of the window
  • Under the Process Name column, look for the name of the app and click to select it; common app names include: MacDefender, MacSecurity or MacProtector
  • Click the Quit Process button in the upper left corner of the window and select Quit
  • Quit Activity Monitor application
  • Open the Applications folder
  • Locate the app ex. MacDefender, MacSecurity, MacProtector or other name
  • Drag to Trash, and empty Trash

Malware also installs a login item in your account in System Preferences. Removal of the login item is not necessary, but you can remove it by following the steps below.

• Open System Preferences, select Accounts, then Login Items
  • Select the name of the app you removed in the steps above ex. MacDefender, MacSecurity, MacProtector
  • Click the minus button
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I wasn't able to to complete your instructions without guidance by voice. Just cleared everything with a
Macsupport advisor. This was not your fault, however I would appreciate just one charge, since I didn't realize the charge had gone thru twice.

Thank you for your help.

P.S. At first I thought you were the virus 'user', so I was confused.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I'll check into the charges for you.
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience: 7 + Years Supporting Apple Products