Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs
23822421

My Mac is a OSX 10.6.7 which I updated several months ago from

Customer Question

My Mac is a OSX 10.6.7 which I updated several months ago from 10.4. Now I am not able to use the scanner on my HP three-in- one 8500. I've tried reinstaling and that hasn't helped. The Hp Scanner Device shows up but when I have a photo on the flatbed scanner it says that the device is unstable, etc.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 3 years ago.
Please remember to scroll down and click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if we solve the issue, for me to be paid :-) Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit/debit/PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

The scanner feature for this printer using Mac OS X 10.6.7 is only available from the "Preview" or "Image Capture" applications. Please follow the steps below:

1- Open Finder (the first icon on your dock)

2- Click Applications

3- Click "Image Capture"

4- Click your Scanner under "Devices" on the right

5- Click the scan button on the lower right corner of that window.

IF NO LUCK, please follow the steps below:

2- Go to Applications

3- Double click "Preview"

4- Go to "File" menu

5- Click "Import from Scanner"

6- Select "Networked devices" if you see that option there. Then click File and "Import from Scanner" again. Your scanner should be listed there now, click it.

7- Please note I do NOT work for APPLE or HP so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback if you are not satisfied with them. Thank you

8- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

9- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried both of your suggestions to no avail. No. 1: message: message/no scanner or camera connected.
No. 2 when I selected networked devices import from scanner appears and faded out letters and makes no response.
Is the printer connected to the Mac with a USB cable?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The printer cable is plugged into a Belkin mechanism. It is the cable that I assume came with my printer. I'm not 100% it is a USB cable.
OK, please try downloading and installing this driver -----> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-74801-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=219&product=3752456&sw_lang=

Download and install it, then try to scan.

Does it work? Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I click on the driver you sent it changes from bright yellow back to blue but it doesn't appear elsewhere!
Ok, please try with this one -----> http://is.gd/i0rj7X