Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
30013869

Hi! My macbook pro freezes on startup! Please help!

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Which model Mac do you have and what version OS X is it running?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model No: A1286
15.4/2.53/2x2GB/500/SD/GLSY

OS X, the most recent update
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.

Follow these steps, until your Mac is operational

Step 1. Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

-Shut down the computer.

-Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

-Turn on the computer.

-Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

-Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the 2nd time.

-Release the keys and let your system boot up.

Step 2. Restart in Safe Mode

Shut down your Mac. Next, power your Mac back on. Just after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the “Shift” key. You can release the Shift key after you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Your Mac should boot up into Safe Mode. Then reboot your Mac and test under a normal boot up.

Step 3. Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode

The best way is to boot for your original installation disk, and use disk utilities to "repair disk". If, for some reason, your installation disk isn't handy you can do the same thing by booting into single-user mode (by depressing the command (Apple key) and S keys at startup), which takes you to a terminal-like screen. At the prompt there, type the command: "fsck -yf" (without quotes and note the space). If it doesn't find the command, type /sbin/fsck -yf instead. If it complains about permissions type: "sudo /sbin/fsck -yf" and provide the admin password XXXXX prompted. If it finds errors, repeat this command until no errors are reported and you see the "...OK" statement. This check may need to be run up to four times on a system with serious problems. When you get the "...OK" message, type “Reboot”. Your Mac will restart and return you to the User GUI interface.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good morning Richard.

Bad news,

I expend all night long following your three steps 1. Resetting PRAM and NVRAM; 2. Restartting in safe mode; 3. Running fsck -yf four times (note in each time the system tried Repair the volume three times), for all these attempts the following messages were showed
**Checking catalog file.
Incorrect number of thread records
(4, 31978)

Booting in single user mode I can access my files.
I'm not considering to backup my data and reinstall all. Well not YET rsrsrs

Any other ideas?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the update. Yes, I have a few more.

Next, Try Disk Utility:

1. Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
  2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
    Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
  3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
  5. Select your Mac OS X volume.
  6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
After this is complete, shut down your Mac and reboot.

Reply back with your results please.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Frustrating!

I tried to start from my Mac OS X Install disc: Insertting the installation disc, then restartting the computer while holding the C key. The DVD starts and after few moments still freezes. A window ask me to reboot the computer is showed.

I also tried to start holding the Option key and two options were showed: 1. Macintosh HD 2. Mac OS install DVD. I select the second and after few moments still freezes. A window ask me to reboot the computer is showed.

:(
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
Next step, try the SMC reset. Please reply back with your results. Thank you.

Reset the SMC of a MacBook or MacBook Pro’s with detachable batteries:

* Shutdown the MacBook/Pro and remove the battery
* Disconnect the power adapter, hold the Power Key for 10 seconds
* Release the power key and reconnect your battery and power adapter
* Turn your Mac on
* Let boot as usual.

Reset SMC of a MacBook or MacBook Pro’s with an internal battery:

* Shutdown your MacBook/Pro
* Connect the power adapter to your Mac
* On the MacBook/Pro’s keyboard, hold down the Shift+Control+Option keys and the Power button at the same time
* Release all keys and the power button at the same time
* Boot your Mac as usual
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My macbook has an internal battery.

I must to hold for few seconds the key combination or just to press and immediately release the key combination?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
Yes, hold for a few seconds (try this several times if necessary). Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did Shift+Control+Option keys and the Power button at the same time.

And reboot my mac in verbose mode command -v, and still the message:
...
**Checking catalog file.
Incorrect number of thread records
(4, 31978)
...

Appears...
:(
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Please proceed with an reinstallation of OS X. The following will guide you through the process:

1. Insert your Mac OS X Install DVD or Installation Disc 1.
  2. Restart the computer and hold down the letter "C" as the computer starts up.
  3. Continue to hold down the letter "C" until you see a grey screen with an Apple and a small spinning gear.
  4. Select your language on the Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer screen and click "Continue".
  5. Click "Continue" on the following screen.
  6. After reading the Software License Agreement, click "Agree".
  7. Select the volume to which you are going to install. "Macintosh HD" is the default name.
  8. Click the "Options" button in the bottom corner of the window and select your installation type. (If you want to retain your data and programs, choose Archive and Install)
  9. Click "OK" and then "Continue". You will be presented with a confirmation window at which point you can click "Install" to proceed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Richard, bad news.

I've tried these steps:

OK -> Insert your Mac OS X Install DVD or Installation Disc 1.
Ok - > Restart the computer and hold down the letter "C" as the computer starts up.
OK -> Continue to hold down the letter "C" until you see a grey screen with an Apple and a small spinning gear.

After a few moments the sppining gear freezes and a window with reboot message is showed, I reboot and the computer automatically restart in safe mode, but when the progress bar is full it freezes again.

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
Please Note:

When performing an Archive and Install, use the installation CD for the current version of the operating system that installed on the computer.

If this does not work, boot into Safe Mode and go to Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility and run "Repair Disk Permissions" and when complete run "Verify Disk" on your Mac.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Richard,

I already told you, the macbook do not start in safe mode...

"After a few moments the sppining gear freezes and a window with reboot message is showed, I reboot and the computer automatically restart in safe mode, but when the progress bar is full it freezes again."
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your clarification. I am assuming that you followed my directions closely.

Your hard disk has failed and needs to be replaced.

Common symptoms of a dying hard drive

Hard drive is making a clicking, whirring, grinding, ping pong ball noise or any other type of unusual noises.

Hard drive is not spinning.

Computer is not recognizing the hard drive.

Sluggish loading of applications.

System freezes and hangs.

An interesting site - Hard Drive Sounds by drive manufacturer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But,

I already running hardware test.
I boot macbook with Disk Appple hardare test with 'D' key pressed and running the complete test. Everything is ok.

But when a try to boot with the Install DVD after a few moments the sppining gear freezes.

Every time I startup in verbose mode the same message is presented

**Checking catalog file.
Incorrect number of thread records
(4, 31978)

What is it?

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, if I replace my macbook's HD it will be able to boot from DVD?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
;(
Ok thanks

Wait! I can boot in single mode and access my files. This can be useful?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
"Wait! I can boot in single mode and access my files".

Is that a Question or a statement?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A statement.
I made a partial backup of my important files.

Can we try to fix it from there, 'single mode'?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
Sure. Boot up and then try to run Disk Utility and Verify the disk.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I run Disk Utility from terminal (single mode)?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
At the prompt there, type the command: "fsck -yf" (without quotes and note the space). If it doesn't find the command, type /sbin/fsck -yf instead. If it complains about permissions type: "sudo /sbin/fsck -yf" and provide the admin password XXXXX prompted. If it finds errors, repeat this command until no errors are reported and you see the "...OK" statement. This check may need to be run up to four times on a system with serious problems. When you get the "...OK" message, type “Reboot”
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We already did it.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
You can try this software but I'm not sure it will work for your hard drive. It's probably best to replace.

http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/index.html
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Today I tried to boot my macbook from Remote Install MAC OS X and the same problem occour.

You can guarantee that if I replace my macbook's HD it will be able to boot from DVD!?

Thanks
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 5 years ago.
I'll guarantee you can get your money back if you Accept my answer. Thank you!