Mike, Mac Maestro
Experience:  Apple Consultants Network, Apple Certified
50721714

My mac will not star, that is to say it opens, begins its start

My mac will not star, that is to say it opens, begins its start yp with mac icon but shuts down
befors the desktop can engage. I have been having trouble with it freezing up for several days but restarting put an end to that. This is all new. The unit is three weeks old a mac book pro 15" purchased in Paris France.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Hi - I'm happy to help with your Mac issue. Please remember to Accept when we are completely finished and you are satisfied with my answer.

Mike :

It appears that your hard drive may have become corrupted. I suggest you boot from the Install DVD that came with the machine as follows:

Mike :

1. Insert the DVD and then power off by holding the power switch until everything shuts down

Customer:

so just insert cd and let is go from there?

Mike :

2. Hold down the c key - then power up. Do not let go until the system is booting from the DVD

Mike :

Then when the installer comes up, answer the first question then observe the top menu bar. When you see Utilities, drop it down to select Disk Utilities

Customer:

ok need to get the cd first will you be waiting or do I call you somehow?

Mike :

After Disk Utilities starts, you can ty to repair the the disk. If no erros, then try Repair Disk Permissions

Mike :

Do not re-install the OS, simply quit of power down the machine after running the disk utility, and try to restart from the hard drive.

Customer:

ok located where the repair disk? and what permissions?

Mike :

When you start Disk Utility, there are several choices. Try the repair disk first, then repair disk permissions when it finishes with repair.

Mike :

Let me know about any error messages while doing the repairs

Customer:

ok just one thing you say power down...I do that after repair right like restarting?

Mike :

The sequence is after you get the DVD into the system - power it down by holding the power switch until everything shuts down - THEN

Mike :

hold the c key down and power on until the system boots from the DVD.

Mike :

Answer te first question about languag, then the Utility Menu will appear on the top menu bar. That is when you start disk utility

Mike :

After running the disk utility, you will power down again and try to boot from the hard drive

Customer:

ok....insert cd hold c key down until it boots and the installer kicks in then power down? am still not clear here sorry

Mike :

after the installer starts it will ask a question about language - answer the question, when it goes to the next step, the menu bar will be populated at the top. One of them is labeled Utilities. Click on Utilities and it will drop down and one of the selections will be Disk Utility. That is how you start it

Customer:

so that is done before any powering down? when in fact in the sequences is the power down supposed to be done please?

Mike :

Please reread my instructions and just follow them to the letter

Customer:

believe me am trying to get a handle on this

Mike :

what have you done so far?

Customer:

am now ready to begin as I said had to retrieve the cd

Mike :

put the cd in the system. When it is inside - power it down. Hold the c key and keep it pressed while powering up. Keep it pressed until the system boots from the DVD. Then follow my instructions. Are you on another computer to talk to me?

Customer:

cd is in

Customer:

yes

Customer:

ok is repowering now

Mike :

hold the power key down until the MBPro shuts down. Then reboot with the c key pressed

Customer:

doing it

Mike :

Customer:

for the moment pinwheel is going

Mike :

It will take about 1-2 minutes to boot from DVD

Customer:

ok have from startup disk reset password XXXXX but no repair yet do I chose startup disk?

Mike :

keep the c key down until it starts booting

Mike :

Look for Disk Utility and select it

Customer:

ok got it

Customer:

still on c key?

Mike :

Select Macintosh HD on the Left and then click the button marked repair Disk

Customer:

coming up

Customer:

ok

Customer:

do i still need c key?

Mike :

no - you can let go of the c key

Customer:

whew

Customer:

lol

Customer:

ok have window

Mike :

Select Macintosh HD on the Left and then click the button marked repair Disk on the right side

Customer:

ok

Customer:

verifying now

Mike :

let it do it's thing. If you get any errors - tell me what it says

Customer:

you a model in patience

Customer:

ok

Customer:

error disk utility can't repair this disk....

Mike :

OK - bad news - the Hard Drive is Damaged and will need to be replaced. Did you purchase from Apple or an authorized Apple Dealer?

Customer:

yes

Mike :

Did you drop the machine or was it damaged that you know of?

Customer:

3 weeks ago this is for pro too

Customer:

no no dropping or anything else

Customer:

is it possible to do a back up?

Mike :

You can try to reformat and reinstall the system, or you can take it in let the Apple Genius help - which do you prefer?

Mike :

hat was my next question - do you have a backup?

Customer:

would like to try as I am not in Paris at the moment to see a genius lol

Mike :

do you have a time machine backup (or some other backup)?

Customer:

other back up here simple exterior hd

Customer:

western digital

Mike :

Was it running time machne backup or just copies of your files

Customer:

just copies time machine is at home

Customer:

only need documents

Mike :

if I help you reformat and re-install, it will be original again. You will need to restore your critical files and applications - is that OK?

Customer:

of course

Mike :

OK - is the disk utility still running on the MBPro?

Customer:

was not yet fully installed antway thank god

Customer:

yes still there

Mike :

OK - on the left side, notice that there is a disk icon and info above the line labeled Macintosh HD?

Customer:

500.11 GB Toshiba?

Mike :

yes - click once on that line

Customer:

or optarc?

Customer:

sone

Customer:

done

Mike :

The tabs on the right side will now have a button called partition

Customer:

disk os2

Mike :

click on the the 500.11 Toshiba

Customer:

did

Mike :

then click on Partition on the right side

Customer:

disk0s2 dropped

Customer:

not seeing that

Customer:

ok got it

Customer:

done

Mike :

where it says Volume cheme, there is a drop down menu - select 1 Partition

Mike :

After selecting check that the name is XXXXX XXXXX HD

Customer:

sorry not seeing that at all

Mike :

where it says Volume scheme, there is a drop down menu - select 1 Partition

Customer:

not seeing volume scheme

Mike :

Did you click on Parition in the tab bar on the right?

Mike :

*partition

Customer:

yes

Customer:

doing it again?

Mike :

What do you see blow the tab bar now

Mike :

*below

Customer:

ok under 500.11 there is the disk0s2

Customer:

nothing has changed in the window where error message appeared

Mike :

That has nothing to do with my instructions.

Customer:

sorry but clicked partition as per your instructions no drop down has appeared

Mike :

Please follow my instructions - i will copy what i told you before:

click on the the 500.11 Toshiba

9:12 AM

Customer:

pinwheel one second please

Mike :

where it says Volume Scheme, there is a drop down menu - select 1 Partition

9:13 AM

Customer:

still have pinwheel turning here

Mike :

Click on Current - that is a drop down

Customer:

did exactly what you asked but as I said got no drop down sorry

Mike :

Click on Current - that is a drop down

Customer:

still have pinwheel turning and cannot get in

Mike :

Then I am sorry to say that your drive is damaged and we are unable to reformat it. It will need to be replaced by Apple. I am very sorry, but there really isn't anything we can do if the hardware has failed.

Customer:

ok how do I get this pinwheel to stop?

Customer:

ok thank you for your help will get it back to Apple

Customer:

and how to eject the dvd

Mike :

Just hold the power key down and the system will shut down. If you power on again with the trackpad depressed, it will eject the CD then you can power down again and take the system back to Apple.

Customer:

ok thanks again sorry for the trouble

Mike :

I would appreciate an Accept for my answer to compensate me for my time. Again I am sorry we were unable to resolve the issue. Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer:

no problem have a great day

Mike :

Thank you.

Mike, Mac Maestro
Experience: Apple Consultants Network, Apple Certified