Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I have worked with Macs going back to the IIE. Installation, diagnostics, repair of all variations.
12940042

i have an imac early 2009 24inch 8gb. im also running parallels

i have an imac early 2009 24inch 8gb. i'm also running parallels 6 and windows 7. all of my programs are updated and current.

however, in the windows program on the toolbar there is a message that says the message below. My question is. What should I do, if anything?

"Consider BIOS upgrade
Microsoft is unable to determine the exact cause of this error. However, this problem was most likely caused by an error in your computer’s random access memory (RAM). RAM is the main internal storage area the computer uses to run programs and store data.

During the crash analysis, we noticed the basic input/output system (BIOS) version on this computer does not match the specifications for the central processing unit (CPU), also known as a processor, that is installed on your computer. This can occur when a newer processor is installed on an older system board or older BIOS. Using a BIOS that does not support the installed processor can result in Windows system crashes. Contact your computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer for an updated version of BIOS for your computer's processor."
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 5 years ago.

Dan - Master Tech :

Greetings, unless you have a problem with your Mac OS or you find that Windows 7 is sluggish, locks up or crashes frequently then you can ignore the message. Since you are running Windows in a virtual environment it's not unusual for error messages to pop up on occasion. Parallels uses a bios as part of the virtual environment and can only be updated by Parallels. All you can do is make sure you have updated to the most recent version since this is a known problem with some installations. While Parallels is convenient to have two OS's running at the same time, if it becomes too much of an issue you may want to consider Boot Camp as a option until the bug is fixed. Dan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i'm not having problems so i'll just ignor the message. i suspected what you confirmed but wanted to feel good about ignoring it. thanks Dan.