Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I have worked with Macs going back to the IIE. Installation, diagnostics, repair of all variations.
12940042

I need to know if the Time Machine program in Mac OS performs

I need to know if the Time Machine program in Mac OS performs a low level or high level format of the external drive you set for your backups. I accidentally wiped data from a hard drive in preparation to set it up for use with Time Machine and need to recover the data. Thank you!

Dan - Master Tech :

Greetings, due to the parameters (servo, sector layout, and defect management, etc.) stored on each specific hard drive, Time Machine does NOT perform a low-level format. The low format information is intended to last the life of the drive under normal conditions and should only be done with a program specific to a particular manufacturer/drive. If you need additional information please let me know. Dan

Customer:

Hi Dan

Dan - Master Tech :

I'm still here

Customer:

I just read your answer; thanks for your reply. Is there any other information I should pass on to my friend that the data recovery techs should know. Obviously, I feel terrible about wiping her data. :-(

Dan - Master Tech :

I understand your situation. Having done computer repair work for many years I've had some extreme cases. If the recovery specialist has the correct software, then recovering the information as raw data should be possible.

Customer:

Well - nice to know I'm not the only IT person banging my head against the wall. Though I don't wish this on anyone. OK - going to cross my fingers and hope for the best. Thank you so much!

Dan - Master Tech :

Best of luck to you. Dan