John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
53785

I need to write a simple macro using a look-up spreadsheet

Customer Question

I need to write a simple macro using a look-up spreadsheet in Excel 08. Will this be possible on my iMac? Do I do it in excel or with AppleScript?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Excel 2008 is the only version of Excel that does not support vba macros. If you have access another version of Excel or if you intend to upgrade I will be happy to write that macro for you

Or we could try accomplishing this with formulas only.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can upgrade to 2010 but I'll have to go to the Apple store or the university bookstore to purchase it. Can you wait a couple of hours?
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Sure, just bookmark this page so you can easily get beck to it

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've installed excel 2011. I havw the spreadsheets open. I'm ready
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Great!

Now please send me the file that you want to install the macro on, together with the instructions so I can create the macro for you.

To send the file go to http://www.wikisend.com/ and upload the file then copy the File ID that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There are two files, SCCH&N19 and SCCH&N20. I need to write a macro on 20 using 19 as a lookup table. The link between the 2 is the accession numbers. I need the FoldChange value from 19 written into the FC column of 20 for each accession number common to both spreadsheets. About half pf them should link. I'm writing this on my iPad so it will take me a little while to plug the link into my iBook. Give me 10 min.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Http://wikisend.com/download/933528/SCC and 472380/SCC
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok I got the first file, i.e. SCCH&N19_2p.xls

Will wait for the second file..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did you get the second file?
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

No. You did not send me the File ID for the second file yet

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Lost in cyberspace. Illswms it again.
608848/SCC
Let me know if it flew.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Got it, thanks.

Will get back to you as soon as I am done

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok here you go

I manged to make it work with formulas only. This should simplify the process of enabling macros by all users and it will not require user intervention to run the macro as the formulas automatically return the updated results

Here are the two files. The formals are in the "SCCH&N20_2p 1.xls" (yellow cells)

http://wikisend.com/download/523944/SCCH&N19_2p%201.xls

http://wikisend.com/download/601376/SCCH&N20_2p%201.xls

When you download the files first save them in to the same folder (before opening them), then open the 19 file first, then the 20.

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK.
I added a note yesterday about the accession numbers. Only the real numbers should be looked at and -R. The stuff in brackets is variable and should be disregarded. Perhaps we need to write a separate Macro to clean up the numbers.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok have a look at this file. I modified the formula so it ignores any character that comes after the 11 digit accession number. The new formulas are 'array formulas'

http://wikisend.com/download/452694/SCCH&N20_2p%201a.xls

Let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, but I don't know what to do with it. When I open it I have a page -full of machine language.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK
This weekend I spent about 6 hours going through both spreadsheets line-by-line. The formula worked. The transfers are 100% on. However I want to try it on a couple of other studies to make sure it works for me every time. It will take me a couple more days to work through these so I'll probably have some questions. Hang on.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.
Great!.

Sure. Let me know if you have any questions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried the "array formula" on a second set of spreadsheets over the weekend but couldn't make it work. Obviously I don't understand how to apply it or how it should be modified for the new data. Can you help me?
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Hi again

Ok 'Array formulas' must be entered by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Enter (CMD + SHIFT + RETURN on the Mac) keys instead of just the Enter key. If you do it correctly then Excel will automatically place curly brackets around the formula { }. You cannot type these brackets yourself. When you edit the formula you must enter it again with Ctrl+Shift+Enter (CMD + SHIFT + RETURN on the Mac)

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Below is your formula followed by the one I wrote. Is it OK? It was hard to get it right and there are colons in yours which my computer wanted to do as forward slashes. Are these interchangeable?

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(LEFT(C2,11),LEFT('Macintosh HD:Users:Lawrence:Desktop:SCCH&N:[SCCH&N19_2p 1.xls]SCCH&N19_2p.xls'!$D$2:$E$303,11),2,0)),"",VALUE(VLOOKUP(LEFT(C2,11),LEFT('Macintosh HD:Users:Lawrence:Desktop:SCCH&N:[SCCH&N19_2p 1.xls]SCCH&N19_2p.xls'!$D$2:$E$303,11),2,0)))

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(LEFT(C2,11),LEFT(‘Macintosh HD:Users:Lawrence:Desktop:COMPARISON SF2_SF3:STS_118_2BIOS_2p.xls'!$D$2:$E$303,11),2,0)),"",VALUE(VLOOKUP(LEFT(C2,11),LEFT(‘Macintosh HD:Users:Lawrence:Desktop:COMPARISON SF2_SF3:STS_118_2BIOS_2p.xls'!$D$2:$E$303,11),2,0)))

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So, assuming I've got the formula right, I copied it, pasted it in the E2 cell, and hit command-shift-return. Nothing happened.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Could you please send me the file with the two formulas so I can check them for you on your data

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll upload the two spreadsheets as before. They're set up the same as the SCCH&N ones bit this time they're called FLT_GRD_10bios_2p_20110309 (this is the home one) and STS-_118_2BIOS_2p (this is the lookup). It will take me a few minutes because I have to put them on iDisk to move them to my iPad.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't make Wikisend work
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2 files sent. Ok?
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Where are the download links or File ID's so I can download the files?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure what you need. I sent them through Wikisend using Lsandberg as the user name. The file names are as I've listed them above. FLT_GRD..... and STS_118.......
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

No we can't use file names to locate the file on that site. There are millions of files hosted there and that is why they require a file id, as such

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I'll send them again and watch for the ID.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FLT_GRD......ID 947606

STS-_118.....ID 372574
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok I downloaded the files but I do not see any instructions or highlighted cells to look at. I am not sure what needs to be done. It has been a while since we worked on this question and I can't quite remember the issue (I work on 100's of files every week)

Is this meant to be a new question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's the same manipulation you did on the first two files. FLT_GRD has an empty column called FC. STS_118 has a FC column (fold change) with data. It is the look-up for supplying the FC data to FLT_GRD. Because these are new spreadsheets and because I can't make your first formula apply to these, this might be considered a new question. But you must show me how to make the formula work on future spreadsheets because I will have many of them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you did this with macros I think it would be easier for me to understand.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
To refresh your memory, I've uploaded the two files you worked on originally so you can see the formula: IDs 881800 and 305498.
Also, as you may recall, the 11 digit accession # is the link between the 2. What follows in brackets, etc. Is to be ignored because these are variable. Thanks for your patience with a novice like myself.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Got it. Thanks

Will work on it a bit later in the day and will get back to you as soon as possible

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok here you go

http://www.2shared.com/file/8qSDlwKI/2_files.html

Again please make sure to place the 2 extracted files in the same folder, then open the STS_118_2BIOS_2p.xls file first so the other file gets updated properly

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you need further help with these formulas or if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Were you able to download the file. Waiting for your feedback

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm out of town for the weekend so I didn't get a chance to try it on my big Mac. I'll get back to you Monday.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

No problem. Take your time

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Any progress on this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still working on it. I need couple more days.