Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My iMac G5 is running extremely slow. How can I fix it

Customer Question

My iMac G5 is running extremely slow. How can I fix it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
10.4.11 where do I find Macintosh HD?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
On the Desktop it is your hard drive.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found it and followed your instructions. It said that it is OK so I ran Repair Permissions. It just completed and said it was successful.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK I still need the other info:
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Version: 10.4.11
Processor 2 GHz Poser PC G5
Memory: 1 GB DDR SDRAm
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK now Control / Click on Macintosh HD go to Get Info, what does it say next to Capacity, Used and Available?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Capacity: 233.64 GB
Available: 188.47 GB
Used: 45.17 GB on disk
(48,499,101,696 byter)
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK so far I don‘t see any problem what exactly is slow?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Suddenly everything began to run slow. When I would try to open email or anything online it is noticeably slower than it used to be.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
So just online? Please go here and tell me your upload and download speed:

http://www.internetfrog.com/mypc/speedtest/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Download 4.74
Upload 2.79
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Is that MB? I assume so. Well your computer is very old and the system also unfortunatley the current web technologies may be dragging it down. Is doing other things the same as before like word processing, etc...
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
My advice would be to either reinstall Mac OS 10.4 or better yet get 10.5 that should improve your performance, plus you need it to use some of the latest web software but you are out of luck with others like Adobe Flash and Firefox no longer supports Power PC. Need instructions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please give me instructions on installing 10,5 or should I take this computer to an Apple Store? Do I need to purchase a new Mac?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
If you have the money I would say an new Mac is the best option. Up to you. Let me know.