robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience:  2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.

Hi Ive got a 15 inch Macbook Pro which I bought in March

Customer Question

I've got a 15 inch Macbook Pro which I bought in March last year. I also have a WD Mybook to store my music and photos on.

The problem I'm faced with is that for a while the Mybook was shown as a shared device but I could never connect it with the Mac. Now it doesn't show as a shared device. However, from my children's PC I can connect to it.

I want to move all the family's photographs from the MacBook to Mybook.

Any thoughts please.

Nick Fullagar
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like the device was never formatted for Mac, have you ever been able to copy files back and forth from it at all? If not, you'll want to erase the current MyBook and format it with the program Disk Utility on the Mac.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply but......I don't understand why that should be the case.
The WD Mybook is says it's ready to take files from both Mac and PC. I had to load software onto my PC for it to run but the instructions say the Mac will recognise it. ie it's supposed to be configured for both Mac and PC out of the box. Given I have my entire music library on it I don't want to remove everything. And that's an interesting point. I run my music system through SONOS. The Mac has a Sonos controller installed on it and it can access all my music which is all filed on my WD MYBook.
Any other thoughts
Okay so it actually can see the files through SONOS. There's something going on where it can't access the MyBook.

How is it plugged into the Mac? Network or USB?

IF you open up Disk Utility, does the MyBook show up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mybook is connected via the network.
No it doesn't show in the Disk Utility.
Ah, ok, a networked hard drive is a much trickier beast.

The first troubleshooting tactic I would use is a power cycle...shut everything down. Computers, hard drive, router, cable modem. Then power on cable modem, router, hard drive, then computers, and see if the hard drive again shows up.

The other place you want to make sure you are looking on the MAC is in "NETWORK" ... you can get to the network by making sure you have the Finder active...the Finder is any file or folder window....then select the GO menu option at the top, and select NETWORK...this should show you all network devices...computers and hard drives included.

Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it didn't show at all ..... anywhere
Hmm this is going to be a tricky issue to solve over text threads. Basically there's an online interface to manage the MyBook, it likely needs to be setup or re-set to work with the Mac, and further troubleshooting needs to happen to make sure the Mac is on the right network and can see all the devices on the network...the Mac settings may have changed....regardless it should still see all the devices in the NETWORK list.

At this point, it's tough to give you specific advice, it's a troubleshooting situation. Do you have any specific questions I can answer?