Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

New MacBook purchased today. Upgrade to iPhone 4 purchased

Customer Question

New MacBook purchased today. Upgrade to iPhone 4 purchased today. Transferred MobileSync iPhone 3GS backup files from old Mac PowerBook G4 to new MacBook. Gave me option to use 3GS backup and I said yes. Then realized backup was old, and transferred new backup to MacBook. Did a restore on iPhone 4 to get rid of old update. Now it will not let me install the new updated backup. MacBook recognizes this as a new phone and iTunes will not bring up the 3Gs backup as an option.
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I'm afraid that when you did a restore on the iPhone 4, it wiped out any backups from the 3GS, as that's how its built to function.

The only thing I can think of to find your most recent backup and force a restore with this is to hold down OPTION and click the restore button, this should give you a list of options, your backup MAY be listed there...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The backup is still there. Also, as mentioned above, I have tried to restore from backup, which is what the option button does. Thank you for replying but based on your answer, you do not know the solution to my answer. I will seek help from Genius bar. Thank you for trying.
Well I was a Genius at the Apple Store, but as you've described your issue, and there's some confusion, maybe it's best if you go to them as well. Happy computing.