Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

iPhoto will not open on my MacBook.

Customer Question

My iPhoto will not open on my MacBook. I have a Mac OS X 10.6.7 with a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I recently installed iLife 11, is this the problem?

Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.

What really happens when you open iPhoto? Are you getting any error messages?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No error. The icon won't even bounce up and down like normal when it's opening. iPhoto does appear at the top of my screen as if it were open.

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.

Seems like it can't load the library. We can try to rebuild your iPhoto Library and see if that works or not..

Rebuild iPhoto Library

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the "Command" and "Option" keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

If that didn't worked then rebuild your iPhoto Library with this application, iPhoto Library Manager (just try the trial version) : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Please follow the instructions in here to rebuild your iPhoto Library with iPhoto Library Manager : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/Help/rebuilding%20a%20corrupted%20iphoto%20library.html

Let me know if that didn't worked..

Best Regards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much, I will try this. One question, I don't have my photos backed up will I lose them If I rebuild?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.

You're welcome! No, you won't lose the photos. Rebuilding will just fix the Library problems.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I was successful at rebuilding my iPhoto. Thank you very much for your input!

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.

No Problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I am trying to convert a Keynote presentation from my Mac to iMovie. Do you know how to do this? I am stumped.

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.

What version of Keynote and iMovie are you using?

iPhoto will not open solutions

When iPhoto crashes repeatedly  the library could be corrupt. If the library is corrupt, the application will need to be uninstalled and reinstalled again. Reinstalling will typically fix most issues.

Another option would be to delete the settings and restore the application. To restore the application, you will find the “restore” option under “Preferences” in the user library.

If the above steps do not help restore iPhoto back to a functioning state, below are a few options that are available to get the iPhoto application to work properly.

Macbook

Option 1: try backing up and rebuilding the iPhoto library. To do this hold down the "Command" and "Option" (alt) buttons while opening the iPhoto application. Once the application has opened, select the “Repair Database” option. If this does not help, hold down the command and option (alt) buttons and instead select “Rebuild Database.”

Option 2: Download the iPhoto Library Manager and use the “Rebuild” task. In some previous versions of the Library Manager, select “File” -> “Rebuild Command.” In the newer versions, this option in located in the “Library Menu.”

This step should make a new library for photos. Next, it should copy the existing photos, data, and versions to the newly created library as organized as close to the former library.

In case these options did not help restore the iPhoto application contact a Mac Expert.