Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am afraid to get your answer. My beloved iphoto icon has

Customer Question

I am afraid to get your answer. My beloved iphoto icon has a big question mark on it and will not open. I was trying to put some photos in from a disc and got goofy things that I tried to trash. I may have trashed my whole life instead.
Please help me reinstate my iphoto!!
Thank you so much!
I am going to bed to try to sleep...I will check ing the morning.
Marilyn PArker
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK go to Applications folder and look for iPhoto. Is it still there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, it is not there. I did the same thing to my mail. It is not in applications folder either.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
10.5.8
processor 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
memory 1GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I did the next step and got the following message:
Disk utility stopped verifying MAC HD because file system verify or repair failed
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK:

Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded) and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have 2 discs, 1 and 2
How do I know if something is OK? Do you mean if it is verified?
I am printing you answers so I can see what comes next.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did you hear Bin Laden was killed? Can we continue tomorroe?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I did not. Of course we can continue tomorrow. I need to go to bed! I did all the things you suggested and I was very excited because everything was successful. Until I tried to open mail and iphoto. The question marks popped up again.
Thank you. I work all day (Columbus, Ohio) so I will not be able to get back to thins until tomorrow evening. I willlog in again.
Marilyn
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Come back here when ready.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am back. I was unable to open iphoto and mail after doing all the things you told me to do. What now?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK so you repaired the disk and also permissions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes,
It said that the process was successful after i did the last thing you suggested, I was not successful with verify disc so I went to Repair and then Repair Permissions.That was successful. Then my computer needed to be on again. I opened it and pushed on mail and the question mark came up again. So, I seem to be back where I was to start. No mail, no iphoto.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Verify Disk was not OK and you did not repair?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Correct. You wrote to try that first and if it did not work try Repair, which I did, then Repair Permissions.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Actually I said “Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions.“.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a backup?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is confusing. I read it as
click on Verify Disk on right, which I did, it was not OK
if that is OK, click on repair permissions...I did not as it was not OK
Then if Verify Disk does not work, try Repair, which I did and it was OK
"If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions" I thought that meant if Repair works, go next to Repair Permissions, which I did.
If it is not successful, let me know. I did.
It was close.

Do you want me to try again with just the Repair? Then what?
Could you list each step on a separate line please so I know what goes together? Thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK yes you are right we are not understanding each other. So you DID hit Repair Disk and that said Repair successful then you repaired permissions correct.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, exactly.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK if your application are missing we need to reinstall your system as long as the disk is OK I think you can do that with little risk. I know you already did part of this but just do it again to be sure.

Put the system disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, click on your drive on the left and click on verify disk. If that is Ok also repair Permissions, then quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Go to Customize and do an Archive and Install saving all info. If that option is not available just install. Run Software update after until there are not more updates before you try opening any applications.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Is that going ok?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been busy since I last heard from you. I am very happy to tell you that I have reinstalled mail and almost iPhoto. The mail opened easily. When I opened iPhoto a message came up that reads

"You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto."

Where do I get the latest version of iPhoto to "use?"

Thank you for your help. We are almost done, I hope!!
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Please read my last direction?

Run Software update after until there are not more updates before you try opening any applications.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I ran every update that was offered before I opened any applications. I ran them and then was asked to close down and restart. Which I did. Can I do anything now?
I have really been trying to follow every instruction you have given me. I copy them on another paper so I can see them.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK sorry I am used to not being listened to. LOL. Did you update your iLife since getting the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, but I have the discs. Actually, I am not sure. It is possible that it was done in one of my 1 to 1 sessions.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
If you are sure you have run all updates, please go to iPhoto app and right clikc and go to Get INfo tell me the version number.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Still need help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike,
I am back for a moment. I checked the version and it is

iPhoto 7.1.2, 2002-2007

I have to leave soon but we will finish tonight for sure. I should be back by 8pm EST
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Strange. Try holding down Option and Command and open iPhoto check all boxes and Rebuild Library
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike,
I did that and got the same message as before that I needed to update. See Tuesday midnight message for exact wording. I do have the iPhoto/ iLife DVD, version 9.0 that I could install.

I have to leave now. I will pick up as soon as I return.
Thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You mean iLife ‘09? Yes that should have version 8 of iPhoto that should fix it but again run Software Update after installing.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yipee. Everything is back to normal now. Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help.

I think it would have been easier for me if you had put each step on a separate line and also directed me to the place I needed to go. I have just discovered where to find Software Update. I decided since you capitalized it it must be located somewhere, so I wandered until I found it. If I had done that earlier this would not have taken so much of our time.

But, the endresult is what I wanted and I have you to thank!!
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Sorry it is hard to judge a customer‘s expertise. If you ever need to come back always feel free to say “Where is that?” The only thting harder for me than a customer who does not admit lack of knowledge is those that think they know but don‘t . Great!!! Thank you.

http://mikethemacmedic.com
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You should get an external hard drive about twice the size of your hard drive for Time Machine backup. Thanks for the bonus.