Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

How do I find my email client and use it I lost my email program and all my emails. I&#

Customer Question

How do I find my email client and use it? I lost my email program and all my emails. I'm using an iMac running OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger) I can't access my previous emil progran because I don't know the client.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did you used to open the Postage stamp in the Dock to access you email?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. It gives me a window, but I can't send or receive email except on the dslextreme webmail.
I've filled in all the forms offered but they don't accept my username and/or password.

dslextreme tech support told me they can't help because I don't know what my email client was before I lost it. Thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Well that is a problem... so you have clicked on the postage stamp which is Apple Mail and there is nothing there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I get a small window but it won't do anything.

Maybe some background would help. My iMac was working just fine -- I could access photos, music, emails, bookmarks, Safari. etc.

Then, on Thursday, I was having trouble getting an email to close, so I did a "force quit",

A that point, I lost everything. I got a desktop that was not MY desktop -- it is a light blue design. I figured out how to get Safari up and running and have tried to get my email by filling in the mail information that I had, i.e., the POP and SMTP info. But everything is refused.

The Computer Doctor gives me red dots to indicate that it can't access email. I called dslextreme tech support and they told me that they can't do anything because I don't know what my email client was before I lost everything.

One more thing -- This is an iMac that I bought from my son about 2-1/2 years ago. He does no t remember how the email was set up originally. dslextreme set me up with my current email addresses.

Hope this info helps.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, thanks. That will take me a while but I'll get at it right away.

Version 10.4.11
Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

This is what I got:
Permissions repair complete
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK but did you Verify Disk first and was it OK? I just heard Bin Laden was killed have to turn on the tv. Would it br rude to ask to contunue tomrorow?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I"d like to continue tomorrow, but will be gone for most of the day. Can we continue tomorrow evening about 7PM PDT? P:lease tell me how to get back into contact with you, or will you send me a message at XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and tell me how to get back in contact with you.. Thank you. Sue G
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Just come back here. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, I'm back and ensured that "Verify Disk" is OK. I had to go back to do that, but the answer is the same; i.e., Permissions repair complete
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK restart and then go to Software Update make sure your system is up to date then let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, the software is "up to date."

Thank you for coming back this evening. I appreciate it. The news is still full of the Bin Laden incident.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes sorry my iPhone lit up while I was answering you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. I'll be watching for your next instructions.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You must have missed it:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I didn't miss it. I restarted, went to Software Update and the system reported that it is up to date.
There are no further updates available at present.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK so sorry so what is the problem? You don’t know your email client?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's right. I don't know what my email my email client was before the disaster. My Internet provider (dslextreme) told me that they can't do anything to restore my emails, which were all lost after I did the "force quit" I can get webmail, but it only has one of my four email addresses and doesn't have the folder feature where I can store emails I want to save. All my previous bookmarks are gone, along with all my music and photos. I want to have all that back, if possible.

I was hoping to restore the emails, music. bookmarks -- everything that I had access to BEFORE the "force quit" cleaned out all my records.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Go to Apple logo to System Preferences/ Accounts how may accounts are listed there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ONE (no other accounts)

Sue
Admin

Name: Sue
Short name: davidgardner (all dimmed out -- not accessible)
{davidgardner is the person from whom I got this computer about 2-1/2 years ago)
(As far as I know he did not use a password.)
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
And if you open Mail or iPhoto your emails and your phtots are gone?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's right. No emails, no photos (except one that I just put there yesterday), no iTunes (I had an extensive library of music, both classical and recent).

Hundreds of photos from my son's trip to Paris, as well as my photos are ALL gone.

All my bookmarks from 2-1/2 years are gone.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK I would try this:

Put the current operating system disk (the one that came with your Mac unless you have upgraded) in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Verify Disk if OK also repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair if Repair completes then Repair Permissions. Then quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Install choosing the option to Archive and Install saving all info. Restart and run Software Update until no more updates are available.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can't do that. When my son brought this iMac to me, he didn't bring any OS disks and I have not upgraded.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Well that is my suggestion. As far as the photos you can try this. Hold down Option key and open iPhoto you will see a window choose Create New library name it something other than iPhoto Library. Save it and drag your whole Pictures folder to the Library window when it opens, let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The only one I could find is the one I put there myself recently. I couldn't drag anything else.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I said drag the whole folder did you do that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Maybe I don't understand.

The window that opened up has a list on the left side.
At the top is LIBRARY The, under that, indented, is another list:
Events
Photos
RECENT
New Event
Last 12 months
Last Import
Flagged
Trash
The top word, which is LIBRARY won't highlight, so I don't understand what there is to "drag" or where it is.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Forget drag.... Go to File / Import to Library then navigate to your Pictures folder and Import!!! See picture.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please read this whole message and then let's get back to my original question (see the end of this reply). Meanwhile............

All I could import to iPhoto is the one file I put in yesterday.

A screen appears which says:

Unreadable Files: 13
The following files could not be imported (they may be an unrecognized file type or the files may not contain valid data).

Let's not get sidetracked again. I want to find out what my email client was and I want to recover the emails I lost when I did the "force quit."

The music and photos can be found by other ways (all exist elsewhere on CDs and on SD cards from cameras). I can probably find most of my more important bookmarks again.

But I CAN'T recover my lost emails and there's lots of important information in the emails that I've archived in the file folders on the email program that I was using.
Can you help me learn what my original email client was ?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No there is no way I can guess at that. I am not a mind reader or magician. You do not remember what program you opened to get your email????? The postage stamp icon is Apple Mail and we have already determined that there is nothing there. Nothing more I can do sorry. You should always have a backup or use IMAP email accounts that way you never lose your email it is on the provider‘s servers.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
This is the last thing you can try go here and get Maintenance for 10.4 download and install then run it and follow the directions when you get to the screen check ALL boxes including Mail-Mailbox index. Then Execute and restart Try Mail. That is all I have.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll try that, but not until tomorrow. I'm saturated right now.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok