Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My iphoto will not open. I have updated software, restarted

Customer Question

My iphoto will not open. I have updated software, restarted etc. Please help!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, I have an 10.6.7
2 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo
1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Cannot find this:
Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Macintosh HD is your hard drive on the desktop.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Found everything and I guess it is working. It's telling me it has 8 minutes left. What is this doing and why did my iphoto shut down like it did?? Do you have any insight?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
I don‘t know yet. This checks your hard drive directory, which tells the computer where everythign is and also Repairs Permissions which is a Unix / Mac system thing no need to go into that. So Verify Disk said OK?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK if Repair Permissions completed. Hold down Option and Command keys and try to open iPhoto, check all boxes and Rebuild the Library.