Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

cannot get mail ...just deleted 2 files in imac mail library

Customer Question

cannot get mail ...just deleted 2 files in imac mail library that were 175 gb each....gmail tried to send a large file attachment perpetually.....i want to delete my existing email address accounts on gmail/sent mail and set up new email address. essentially clean out gmail and set up 2 new email addresses so old accounts do not keep trying to send large email.....MAC supported recommended this but I cannot get into my gmail /settings account. Says I am logged in but no settings tab....thx
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Are you using IMAP Gmail account?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes set up and working fine over 8 months ago....an email was sent with a video attachment that was to large, GMAIL has been trying to send it every day at 50MB per attempt. Viewed the 2 folders in Disk Inventory X and deleted 2 folders at 170 gb per folder. freed up 340 GB with MAC support. They recommended I change both active email addresses in GMAIL and set up new email addresses. Lokking to delete everything in current GMAIL and addresses and set up new email address's under existing gmail or account...or get my existing gmail account/addresses to work . Have not received mail since March 3.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK if you sent it from your Apple Mail and you are using IMAP why not just delete the whole Mail folder and setup the accounts again. Can you get in through web browser?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can you walk me through that ? I go to google /mail and it says I am logged in but no settings tab.....how do I manage my mail...this is what is frustrating I do not see the screen shots in Google mail that everyone posts on how to change settings. If you send me steps that would help
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did you send the large files through Apple Mail or from the web version? I was talking about resetting up Apple Mail not gmail.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am using gmail. 2 accounts on my iMAC/mail application. Either want these fixed or delete them and mail and start fresh in gmail. i keep logging into Google account but nothing takes me into my existing mail accounts to delete/manage.....where is the settings tab for my gmail accounts.....logged in on both MAC and Windws laptop and do not see any reference to my gmail email accounts.....
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK hang on are the Gmail accounts the only accounts you have in Apple Mail?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when you say apple mail.....not sure what you are referring to...I bought an Imac opened up mail application and set up /selected gmail.Within GMail I set up 2 email address's .....worked fine up to March 3....and today's subsequent findings that my start up disk was full because mail had 2 folders with 340 GB of data usage.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What program do you open to access your mail?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
mail icon -postage stamp
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK and are the only mail accounts in there your Gmail accounts? Can you access both of those accounts using Safari?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
never tried and would like to know how to do this if it fix's the problem or perhaps cancel GMAIL and set up a new mail service recommended for mAC users.....Apple Mail ?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Well no matter what email service you use if you try to send multi gigabyte files it will fail and screw up your mail. I highly recomend Apple’s MobileMe:

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
great how do i get rid of gmail and start new with mobileMe...by the way I only tried to send a video once and gmail kept sending every day for months......
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Right you only need to make the mistake once we have all done it not to criticize. If you want to clear your Mail app it is quite easy. If gmail is giving you problems I would get rid of those accounts first they will still be active just not in your Mail app amymore. Do you want to do that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes and start fresh with new mail app but i do want to access mail via mail app on imac (postage stamp ) .....MobileMe may not be right for stationary mail account ....perhaps Appple Mail or what you recommend

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Apple Mail (postage stamp) is made to work with MobileMe perfectly. Open Mail (Postage Stamp) then go to Mail / Preferences / Accounts select each account on the left column and hit the minus sign under the list. Then quit Mail and go to:

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

and sign up fro a Free Trial. It will lead you through the process.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thx accounts are gone....does this mean all data associated are gone ? Could i set up a new gmail account to test if this works in addition to new mail app ? What is your second choice other than MoBileMe....most surveys on google show not worth it ....your opinion ?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No you can go to gmail.com and sign in and you will see the data is still there.

Many of my questions are from free users of Gmail and yahoo, etc... because they have no support. MobileMe is totally worth it in my opinion, especially if you are not computer savvy because everything just works on the Mac.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike I am going to accept answer but can I hit you back later in week if any challenges ?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Absolutey.