robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience:  2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.

In Aperture on my mac I have Iphoto library (thousands of photos)

In Aperture on my mac I have Iphoto library (thousands of photos) and the photos in Aperture that I have imported sense starting Aperture (hundreds of photos) can I create a new library that has them all in Aperture in order by date with out duplications? Can MPG files be converted to be worked with in Aperture to do slideshows?
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 3 years ago.
Hi, here are som answers for you. You can create a whole new library but you would have to duplicate the photo's into aperture, and then erase the one's in iPhoto, there's no migration tool.

Aperture can't work with MPG's or many video codecs because it's mainly a photo tool and not meant for video.

Let me know if you need me to go on or clarify anything, glad to follow up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I duplicate into aperture?
In Aperture, go to File -> Import -> iPhoto Library. You can move your iPhoto images into an existing Aperture Library, but since it's so easy to switch from one Aperture library to another on the fly (File -> Switch to Library), consider setting up a separate Aperture library for your iPhoto work, just a suggestion.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Backing up is my concern, when i created a vault it only backed up the aperture photos and not the iphoto library under projects and albums. I can access the Iphoto library to use them but are the versions i create in aperture? That is why i wanted to get into one place.

It appears that Import -> Iphoto Library will bring the old library from months ago and not the one I have been working with. May be to how to export the Iphoto in aperture and aperture to a new library is what i am asking.
Hmm, well the vault will only get items in Aperture. When viewing iPhoto in aperture, it's actually like a window into IPhoto...its not actually a second copy. So, Import iPhoto library would be the first steps to actually copy over all the photos. That should actually get everything into Aperture, and then if you did the vault...copy all the photos into it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So, if i import Iphoto Library and tell it to Store files "In the Aperture Library" do I check "do not import duplicates and do I leave version name as "Image Date/Time" and do I check "Apply to Masterfilenames?
Well that's a personal preference, it's going to rename things to what they were brought in as like DCS102 or whatever...or it can print the date and time.

Personally I would select do not import duplicates, and leave version name as Image Date/Time and then review after the import to make sure I'm satisfied with the import.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will I have to delet the iPhoto library that appears in aperture now after the import?
Well, it won't let you delete it, I don't think because that is just "viewing" the iPhoto library. Once the import is complete, you would delete the photos from iPhoto...and they shouldn't show up in Aperture afterwords...although for this I would restart the computer after the iPhoto delete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What Happens to the iPhoto videos that aperture does not recoize? After I do the import will iPhoto program on the mac be empty?
No, the import will copy items, it shouldn't delete anything from iPhoto without you manually going into iPhoto and deleting items. You'll obviously want to keep the video's as those can be played in iPhoto and Aperture doesn't work well with video.

It's a tricky call using the two different tools and how you'd go about using them. In the end, I personally decided I wasn't a professional, and only use iPhoto...but I know many that play with both...so I hope this is helpful.
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience: 2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.