MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

on external usb hitachi xl 1000 drive, I get the Node invalid

Customer Question

on external usb hitachi xl 1000 drive, I get the Node invalid answer upon repair. Its that the time machine backups disappeared, the dual backup, windows and apple, seem to be fine for th efiles I copied, but the disk utility says to copy what you have and to reformat. I use bootcamp and refit. Maybe it started when I upgraded to newest os, and didnt use vmware fusion anymore but refit. I am not sure that installing vmware will help since during my reinstall i tried that and it didnt work. Is there a good utility out there. It would be nice to have backup back but not necessary
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question, with
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean
the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.6.6 or Mac OS X 10.5.8, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• Are you getting the invalid node error when you are trying to repair the Hitachi hard drive with Disk Utility's Disk Repair?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

I will be looking forward to your reply.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes with disk utility repair

I just noticed that if I want to create an account as the name I think the original installation was under, I get the error that such name already exist, but its not in the user list.
Thanks for your reply.

The best advice for being able to repair your Hitachi hard drive with a software utility is to consider investing in Disk Warrior 4.3.

I have used this software for over 5 years and it has honestly worked for me (and I am not exaggerating) at a 95% success rate in my clients and my own hard drive repairs.

Disk Warrior is an excellent resource for resolving directory corruption and damaged volume issues yield errors in Disk Utility such as "Invalid Node Structure" and "Catalog-B tree" errors which are very common errors with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatted hard drives.

Disk Warrior 4.3 can not only repair damaged directories, but also rebuild the damaged or corrupted directory or volume, making it functional again, without loss of your data on the hard drive.

So this is my recommendation, and I definitely suggest you take a serious look at this product in order to help resolve the issue with your Hitachi external hard drive.
Review Disk Warrior 4.3 (from Alsoft).

Let me know if this helps.

This is my first answer, but certainly not my last, as long as this issue remains unresolved.

Please do not press "Accept" until you have experienced a resolution from this answer and are satisfied with the results.

If you have not achieved the desired resolution with this answer for any reason, please update me as necessary, with details of what you experienced.

This will allow me to continue working to resolve this technical issue for you.

I will be watching for your next reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my external hard drive just started beeping, I guess that means its broken?
What have you tried in the way of troubleshooting the hard drive, prior to it beeping, or did it just start beeping?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it now stopped beeping, but is scratching and doesnt show up at all anymore
That is not a good sign, at it could imply that the hard drive may be failing, especially if you are hearing a mechanical "clicking" sound emanating from the Hitachi.

At this point, you are looking at either repairing the hard drive via software (i.e. Disk Warrior 4.3) or considering the possibility of the replacing the hard drive.

There is no gray area here, which is why I was suggesting you consider looking into a disk repair utility stronger than Mac OS X Disk Utility.

Keep in mind, you noted you were experiencing invalid node errors, which again, can only be repaired by a utility like Disk Warrior or these other software hard drive diagnostics and repair utilities for Mac:

Tech Tools Pro 6.0 (for Macs from Micromat)
Drive Genius 3 - Mac (for Macs from Prosoft Engineering)

This is pretty much your range of options, as the hard drive is pretty straightforward when it is not working properly. Either mechanically (physical) or logically (software)

Thanks for allowing me to assist you thus far, let me know if you have any further questions.