Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

mac airbook won start flashing

Customer Question

my mac airbook is not starting just have a folder with a question mark blinking

I tried the 'safe startup' procedure holding down the shift key and the same happened

I tried the 'safe startup' holding down the shift key and command V -- and again all I got was the flashing folder with question mark
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
This may help,

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.
Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This did not help -- the same flashing folder-with-question-mark appears
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Do you have an external DVD drive and the installation disks? Or do you have the USB install stick?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Then all I can tell you is take it in to an Apple store, the hard drive (solid state or standard) has failed and will need external tools to boot the MBA. Those tools are not available to you without a way to boot from the installation device.
Wish I had a way to fix it other than that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Daniel,

Going to the Apple Store is what I was hoping to avoid by contacting JUSTANSWER

So how does this work? I am not dissatisfied with your answer -- but my problem has not been solved by you.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I am not able to do any more than what I did and that was to confirm a trip was necessary.
What you do next is up to you. Here is the customer service link.