Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Everything in my iphotos ap that was loaded before March 31,

Customer Question

Everything in my iphotos ap that was loaded before March 31, 2011 is gone. There are a few items saved in my pictures folder but I can't find anything else. Not the ibooks I made or even the Comic Life files. I did rebuild library and a long search on finder but did not find anything. What could have happened? How can I fix it? I did not do any backup this year.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Everything says it is ok. Processor is 2.33 GHz intel core 2 duo. Memory status ok
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Quit iPhoto and then hold down Option and Command keys and start iPhoto check all boxes and Rebuild.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All ready did that, but will do it again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done, nothing has changed
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
So when you select Library / Photos they are not there correct? Quit iPhoto and hold down Option them open iPhoto is there more than one Library listed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no they are not there, and no there is only one library listed
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK as a last resort try opening again with Option key and Create New Library, don‘t name it the same as the old library and save it to Pictures folder then drag your whole Pictures folder into the Library window and see what you can recover.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing different, just the photos that were there when we started all this
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Well then I really can’t tell you what happened. Are there any other users on the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, my son
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
He has his own user account or you both use the same computer account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he has his own user account
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I would try logging in to his account and open iPhoto you never know I have made the mistake of importing photos into the wrong users iPhoto in the past. It’s possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I do that when I don't know his password?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Oh in that case you would have to wait I guess if you don’t know each other’s passwords then probably not much chance of that happening but still worth checking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, thanks anyway...I guess that is it then, they are just gone
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Sorry.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Bye