Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

transfered QuarkXpress 7.5 to new MacBookPro running Snow Leopard. Quark

Customer Question

transfered QuarkXpress 7.5 to new MacBookPro running Snow Leopard.

Quark opens but quits instantly after title appears. I have not retyped any registration info.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
How did you transfer it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
from Time Machine - a backup Western Digital
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK first go to Quark folder in Applications and go to folder For the System and run QuarkXPress Let me know if that fixes it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just ran Components successfully but when opening Qaurk, It still instantly quit
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK go to Macintosh HD / Library / Preferecnes if there is a Quark folder there drag it to the trash and try again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I trashed a Quark Preference file from the Mac HD and from Places. A notice came up saying the authorization was corrupt and Quark needed to be reinstalled. But I can open files. From reading an Apple discussion, it looks like Quark crashes a lot even after trashes the preference files. I can't test that right now because everything is not hooked up. However, in the print dialog box, the drivers (or whatever is the correct word) for making PDFs does not appear. But Quark is opening now so far.
Actually, Quark will open and I can print a document but Save and Save as are greyed out. In other words, if any changes are made, they can't be saved.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Try the QuarkXPress again then restart.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Now Quark is quitting again, right after the title page appears.

(sorry for all the typos in the previous messages)
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK try this:

Go to the terminal and make sure you have admin privileges.

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleFWOHCI.k ext

enter your password XXXXX youre done to successfully start and activate Quark, hopefully.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry, where's the terminal
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Applications / Utilitites / Terminal, copy and paste this you don‘ t want to mistype:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am talking with you from my iMac while setting up the laptop. I typed it very carefully and reread. I entered my pass code but no dots appeared so not sure if pass code was accepted.

Quark is still quitting at start up.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Well I was trying to avoid this but you will have to reinstall from disk. Make sure you update to 7.5 after because it will have problems on SL until you do that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks. It looks like lots of people still have problems after installing from disks with 7.5. I have 8 but my peers are still using 7.5. I may need to just install 8 to be safe.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes that would be a better idea. You can always save versions back to 7, I gave up on Quark years ago and now happily use Indesign only, Quark if forced to. Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My main client wants to stay with Quark. Otherwise I use InDesign as well.

Saving back never seems to work well but may have to do that.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
8 is the first version I really like. Good luck.