Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

e-mail not coming in or going out message from aol said port

e-mail not coming in or going out
message from aol said port 143 timed out
do not know what this means
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
What version of OS X are you using?
graphic
graphic
How do you do email? Mac mail or online?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I do not know, it is a lap top MacBook purchased 2 years ago, by the way,
my desktop mac aol mail is working fine, it is just this laptop.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Can you see the images?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what do you mean by images, images of what, sorry everything has to be spelled out for me
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I will send them again, it shows where to find the info I asked for.
graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mac OS X 10.5 Is this the answer?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
You have to help me here, I cannot see your screen so you have to tell me. I need to know all of what the arrows point at that is on your Mac, not what the images have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mac OSX
Version 10.5.8
Intel core 2 duo
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
processor 2.4 GHz
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX can work on this.
Let's start with a pram reset, you need to do it just like it says or it will do nothing.
To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.
Make sure that you bookmark this site so that you can come back and tell me what the results were.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
shut down the computer.
restarted it, than pressed 4 keys as told each time followed by the chimes and whitish screen,
same mail screen
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Did you keep them down or did you restart after each chime? I am not sure about that.
I ask because there is no room for guess work.

Mail repair ←Click there and it will give you a PDF on how to repair Mail. Please, please read it carefully before doing anything.

If it isn't clear then tell me.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Daniel,
I went through the process of the PDF
Mail can now be sent, e.g. sent myself an e-mail.
It shows up in the Sent column but not in the Inbox.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
It may take a couple of minutes. Send one to someone that will reply quickly, most often if it sends it will receive.