John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.

I volunteer at an animal shelter and I need an application

Customer Question

I volunteer at an animal shelter and I need an application that helps us keep track of the ever changing locations of our cats. There would be several separate rooms with rows of boxes around a perimeter to represent cages and a free space in the middle to represent fee-roaming ones. Is there an inexpensive program which uses drag and drop "tiles" to represent individual cats which can be moved around to different boxes/cages or spaces? Can OpenOffice be used for this? And if so which application could be best adapted: Spreadsheet? Drawing?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

Have a look at this screenshot which I created in Excel

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can the individual cats be made moveable (drag and drop) in Excel? If the cages were stacked 3 deep, do you think it would be too cluttered?
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

Yes you will be able to drag and drop the cat from one cell to another (assuming you have one cat per box)

I am not sure how you want to graphically represent 3 stacks on a two dimensional sheet. If you can send me a sketch I will try to translate it into Excel

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am having trouble replicating the configuration. The rows of cages only take up 2 walls in each room, if that. So maybe 2 or 3 tiers wouldn't be too much along 2 edges. How do you make the cats move around? Also, would it work as well with OpenOffice spreadsheet or would I need to buy Excel? Thanks for your patience!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did my dumb question annoy you?
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

No it didn't, I just didn't know where the discussion was going as I did not get from you a clear answer about how to represent the multi levels.

I will prepare a suggested solution. Give me a few minutes...

Ok here is the file in OpenOffice format.

There are 3 rooms with 3 levels of boxes in each

I hope this ok. Please feel free to get back to me if you have any questions