MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I have a MacBook Air and a Window 7 desk top and Window 7 lap

Customer Question

I have a MacBook Air and a Window 7 desk top and Window 7 lap top. I can see the Mac on the two Window 7 computers but cannot see the Windows files on the Mac
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question, with
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean
the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.6.6 or Mac OS X 10.5.8, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• Are you sharing a hard drive between the Macbook Air and Windows 7 computer?
• Or are you file sharing between these computers?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

I will be looking forward to your reply.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a MacBook Air 3.1 Are you familiar with this computer. I am sharing with my Windows computer but cannot see the Windows files on Mac computer, but can see the Mac on the Windows
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you there
This is just a courtesy update to let you know I am still here. Yes I am familiar with all of Apple's portables.

Please be patient with me if you would, I am determining an answer for you. We do not answer in haste here, as it would not be beneficial for either of us.

I will be with you shortly.

Thank you,

I believe I have an idea of what the issue may be, but as I am working to provide an answer for you, your first reply, did not imply if you are sharing a hard drive over a network for your Mac and two PCs or if you are simply file sharing between the Mac and 2 PCs.

Could you clarify this for me?

Thanks I await your reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just file sharing
I am glad you mentioned that.

To simplify the process of transferring and sharing files, I have a simple more efficient recommendation for you.

Click the link below and download for free this file sharing application called Dropbox.
Download and Install Dropbox (for Mac and PC)

I am suggesting this to you, because like you I have several Macs and a PC laptop that I must share files with, and do so everyday.

I have tried the standard file sharing between my PC and Macs with variable results.

But with Dropbox, it so simple to install, works with both Macs and PCs and literally keeps track of all files and folders between your computers with ease.

What's even better, is Dropbox comes with a notification software it installs on your computers called Growl, which is great because as soon as you make any transfer of files from one computer, say your Macbook Air for example, a notification box will appear on your laptop and desktop PC with Dropbox installed, indicating that addition of the file from your Mac.

I am not trying to be too impartial, but I have to be honest with you, it is one of the easiest apps for file sharing I have ever used for a mixed network of Macs and PCs.

Finally, a Dropbox account allows you to use 1 email address of your choice and uses that email to link that dropbox account to each computer you set up Dropbox with. It also comes with a free Basic 2GB Dropbox account, that can be upgraded to 50 GB up to 100 GB for a very inexpensive monthly fee ($9.99-19.99).

So I would make this recommendation, only because I believe it will work as well for you as it has for me, as we are both cross-platform users.

Let me know if this helps.

This is my first answer, but certainly not my last, as long as this issue remains unresolved.

Please do not press "Accept" until you have experienced a resolution from this answer and are satisfied with the results.

If you have not achieved the desired resolution with this answer for any reason, please update me as necessary, with details of what you experienced.

This will allow me to continue working to resolve this technical issue for you.

I will be watching for your next reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have dropbox and it works. But I would like to don't want use only dropbox to communicate between computers. There must be a way to see the windows computers on the mac. That is why i am asking for your help
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you have an answer?
I sure do,

I have a few options I am providing for you, so please let me finish so I can post that answer for you.

Thanks for your patience.

In understanding that you are seeking to be able to view your PCs on your Mac, there are several ways to do this and they require little set up.

One of the simpliest applications you can accomplish this with is called
Remote Desktop Connection for Mac v2.0.1

It allows you via the IP Address of each of your PCs to view and use the Windows desktops of the PC laptop and desktop remotely right from your Mac OS X desktop window.

It works very well, providing you have a good network connection speed and literally allows you to view your Windows PC desktop screens without leaving your Macbook Air.

There are other softwares out that are called desktop virtualization software which allow you to create Windows desktops systems via terminals right on your Mac OS desktop as well.

Two of the top desktop virtualization softwares out for Mac, are:
VMWare Fusion v.3.1 for Mac
Parallels 6 for Mac

But these softwares do not provide live remote connections to your PCs like Remote Desktop Connection client software does, but, are great for creating a windows type of virtual computer terminal on your Mac.

I am providing these two software titles above, just to provide you some present and possible and future options for using Windows on your Mac.

This is what I have been working on and wanted to provide you a good set of options per your request.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks so much again for your patience and for allowing me to assist you on your question thus far.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i installed Remote Desktop Connection for Mac v2.0.1 How do i get it to run?
Thanks for your inquiry.

I could explain it for you, but you have been extremely patient and I would like to bring this whole session into a resolved answer for you.

So here is a good 10 minute video on just how to set up the Remote Desktop Connection client software on your Mac.

Remote Desktop Connection for Mac video tutorial

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The video is far to complicated. My problem is i cannot see the Window 7 files on the Mac. but I see the Mac files on the Windows computers. Can you solve the problem? If not just let me know.
What you are asking I have already answered with the information about Dropbox, so what are you referring to when you are still saying you still unable to see your Window 7 files on your Mac?

What do you still need that Dropbox or the Remote Desktop Connection cannot not do? Please be more specific about the "Windows 7 files" you are still unable to see on your MacBook Air. You are beginning to lose me here as this is not actually about what I cannot do, but just what you (with clearer details) want.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Here is what i see on the Desktop and the Laptop:

The Frank_M60 is my laptop, the London-PC is my desktop, MACBOOKAIR-193E is the Apple.

In each case I am able to open the folders and files.

The problem is I am not able to see neither the Desktop or Laptop on the Apple.
Ok here is my issue with what you are telling me.

While I do understand, that you are able to open the files and folders, what do you mean when you say you are unable to see neither the PC Desktop or the Laptop?

This is why I asked, why Dropbox would not help resolve this issue for you, as it is a file and folder sharing application that allows you to share between your Mac and PCs?

More importantly, and I ask this not to be in anyway critical, but as a Mac tech, striving to understand your endeavor here, why do you need to see your Desktop and Laptop on your Macbook Air, if you can access the files?

This is why I recommended the Remote Desktop Connection for Mac client software; based on what you explained earlier in this session, it would be what you needed, because you would be able to see your desktop and laptop PCs on small screens right from within your Macbook Air's desktop and can even control those two PCs from that Macbook Air desktop.

I am trying to understand, what is missing from these recommended solutions, from your position?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The Remote Desktop Connection does not work. Would like to be able to access Windows from the Mac. As it stands I can access the Mac from the Windows computers. I would like it to be two ways. It is one way now. That is the problem. It looks like it cannot be solved

The Remote Desktop Connection client does work if it is properly configured,
and if you would still like to be able to set it up, just let me know and I will be glad to help you set it up, step by step.

If I could set the connection between my Intel iMac and Windows 7 Toshiba laptop in less than 10 minutes, I am certain I can help you do the same. I made the mistake of thinking the video tutorial I provided you earlier, would be more helpful as a visual aid, but I see unfortunately it was not.

I understand now that you are trying to do what I have been trying to assist you with from earlier responses, and that is to help you get control of your PC from your Mac.

But I have to be very honest with you, the only way you are going to be able to successfully access your PC from your Mac, is through a remote desktop software client like Remote Desktop Connection for Mac. It takes some configuration and more patience in order to set it up, but I can assure you it works.

Let me know if you wish to proceed and I will be glad to walk you through the set up and help you get it working.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not accept the answer
I have not provided a final answer, because you are not really being very clear with what you want.

I have, based on what you have requested, attempted to provide you, as I have been able to ascertain, just what you are seeking and obviously that is not enough.

As a result, I am not going to continue with you in this session.

I would for your benefit, like to suggest as an option, that you contact AppleCare Technical Support for Portables (Apple calls their laptops "Portables") at 800-272-2273, because as a Mac technician, I honestly believe that you would do better, by speaking to an Apple support tech over the phone, so you can be more clear what you actually want, as this method of correspondence email, at least for this question you have, just isn't working for you.

I am going to request this question be closed.

As a MacExperts, we cannot personally process a request for a refund of your deposit or payment. However, I can definitely provide the information you need to expedite your request.

All you need to do is contact JustAnswer Customer Service via email;
[email protected]

Sincere Regards,

I Opting out of this question now. But if you wish to seek further assistance from another Mac Expert you are welcome to do so, otherwise my last suggestion for this question, may be a good step for you to take.