Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have Photoshop Elements 9 installed on a Mac with operating

I have Photoshop Elements 9 installed on a Mac with operating system 10.6. When I try to use the clone stamp tool the small circle moves the entire photo instead of only the selected area. This is new as I was able to use the clone stamp tool as designed when i first started using Photoshop. Can you tell me how to correct this problem?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
First make sure you have the latest version of Mac OS go to Apple logo to Software Update and then also go to PSE Help / Check for Updates. Let me know when done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I checked and installed updates for Mac OS and PSE. The problem with the clone stamp tool has not corrected. What do I do next?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I’m not sure what you mean the Stamp tool should not “move” the image at all. Can you clarify or send a screenshot?

Or to take a selective sceen shot hold down Shift and Command (?) and the number 4, you will see a little crosshair drag it over the area you want to take a picture of and let go, and the picture will be in Pictures folder. Let me know when sent.

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The clone stamp tool moves the entire image instead of the selected part of the image within the circle. I don't know how else to explain the problem
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hit option while selecting the area you want to clone then try it again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do hit option when using the clone stamp. I have had photoshop since november 2010 and had no problem using the clone stamp until now. I have used it successfully many tines before this trouble developed.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK sorry I can‘t judge a customer‘s ability with a few questions so easily. Go to Window / Reset Panels then with the Stamp Tool selected look at the top of the screen at pixel size it might be set very high.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did the Window/Reset Panels. That did not correct the problem. The problem exists regardless of the pixel size. I have tried with smaller and larger sizes.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Then if all OK try it again if still having the problem:

Go to your username>library>preferences and delete:

com.adobe.PhotoshopElements.plist
Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 settings
Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 paths

and try again. Let me know.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Quit PSE before you trash the Preferences or quit after and open it again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Going to preferences and deleting the three items worked!!! I am now able to use the clone stamp as before. Question, I took them out of preferences and put them on the desktop. Should I leave them there or put them in trash? I am not sure what you meant by deleting them.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes you can now trash them.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.