Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

lepord 10.6.7; with time machine as the back up application,

Customer Question

lepord 10.6.7; with time machine as the back up application, does the computer ever stop indexing the files so that one could use the spotlight fuction
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
It updates the backup every hour. What is the problem exactly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can not use spotlight to find files, it has for 2 days now says spotlight will be available as soon as the contents of the computer has been index; with the barber pole running saying indexing pepi.local
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK that is Spotlight not Time Machine they are two different things.

Drag your Macintosh HD into System Preferences/Spotlight/Privacy and remove it from the list after waiting for a few seconds. Soon afterwards you will see that the Spotlight menubar icon indicates that it’s rebuilding its index. If you need a more thorough rebuild there’s another way using Terminal, but I’d suggest to first try it that way.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok did that the privacy window is now clear, how will I know that the spotlight is rebuilding ... will it have the same message as I stated before?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You should also do this:

Let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.