Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

hi, i have just found on your site how to reset my admin password.

Customer Question

hi, i have just found on your site how to reset my admin password. However, what key do i hold down on reboot to load from the start up disk?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

You can reset the administrator password XXXXX the Mac OS X installation disks

• Insert the Mac OS X installation disc 1 to your Mac.
  • Turn off your Mac
  • Turn it back on and immediately hold down the C key on your Keyboard.
  • This should boot your Mac directly into Mac OS X installation screen
  • Choose your Language and click Next button.
  • Choose Reset Password from the Utilities menu
  • Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.Select the user name of your original administrator account
  • Enter a new password XXXXX Click Save.
  • Restart your Mac

Let me know if that didn't worked...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have done this and my mac has frozen. I have already found this answer online. My mac is now frozen with no apple icon just a grey screen with the disc in the drive
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it did not work
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Turn off your Mac by holding down the Power button until it turns off. Restart your Mac and then try again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
would it be preudent to start in safe mode run a disk repair then try again. I seem to encounter serious problems when trying to start from disk. This is a damn brand new imac. I can understand why this problem exists !?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Run Disk Utility from Single User Mode, that should fix the system files

Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know how it goes....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
now my key board will not type
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Turn off your Mac, unplug the Power cable and leave it there for 10 minutes. Now restart your Mac and try again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
done. It seemed the wireless keyboard worked. Usb keyboard still encountering issues. Commands entered the way you suggested.
Final result
volume mac HD appears to be ok
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Great ! Now reset the password XXXXX see if it works or not..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have reffered back to your earlier notes. Once again pressed c on startup to once again come to nothing but a grey screen..
It has now been a couple of minutes and have progressed no further ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Can you see any spinning gear on the screen ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
unfortunately not... nothing but grey screen.
Disk one of the installation disk is in the drive
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Think i may have a lead for you. This imac was a copy imaged from my macbook pro. I believed that i had a technitian upgrade the system. Do you believe that there could be some kind of issue between the original install disks and the current imac. an incompatibility between operating systems. About to log out to check what is the operating system
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Thats strange..Try this, Create a new user account from Single User Mode. Then login to that new account and you can change the password XXXXX your old account.

Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.

• Reboot your Mac
  • Immediately hold download the Command(Apple) + S key to boot into Single User Mode
  • When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line):
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should have a brand new Administrator account. Then goto XXXXX > Accounts, select your old account and change the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old acount. Let me know if that didn't worked..

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
I don't think there will be any incompatibilty issue. Please try this before trying my above suggestion.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down the Option Key. This should bring the Startup Manager Screen, choose the CD and press return and your Mac This will boot into the disc. Let me know if that didn't worked..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it says
rm is a directory
rm: db no such file or directory
rm: .AppleSetupDone: no such file or directory ???
i have shut down and rebooted. Now seem to be stuck on grey apple and spiral
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Did you tried this ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am back to the same problem. I now have Macintocsh HD / Windows and Mac OS X install Disk 1 on my screen.
I have clicked on the Disk and it seems the computer has frozen?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Try the commands in Single User Mode again. Make sure you're writing commands correctly. See below;

mount<press space>-uw<press space>/<press enter/return>
rm<press space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<press enter/return>
shutdown<press space>-h<press space>now<press enter/return>
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
have done exactly as listed. Once again .AppleSetupdone does not exist
rebooted and stuck on grey apple and swirling icon ??
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
I'm out of ideas. I wil opt out and send this question to other experts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your advice but now i cant even boot??
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Reset the PRAM and see if it works or not
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can you please advise how that is done
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
done and no luck. I have lost a lot of work if i cannot access my desktop? Can what has been done be reversed??
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
We haven't done anything that delete your files. All are files are still there. Do you have another Mac and Firewire cable ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i do
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have found a fire wire cable, what do i do next?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
First we can backup your files using Target Disk Mode, follow the instructions in here : http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1661

Let me know once you did that...
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
You're not supposed to Accept the answer now, you should've accepted it only after it worked. If i couldn't solve your problem, you can contact info@justanswer.com for refund.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Ashik, i accidently pressed on the button by mistake. I have been able to access teh files via firewire cable. Thank you, however i am still stumped for fixing my imacs 1) startup configuration and now secondly being able to log into the system.
It now just freezes. Thank you for your support on this matter..
As mentioned i have the files that i need and capable of pulling off further files, however the initial problem still remains.
If you can think of or by any means that i may be able to restore the original setting please let me know.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
I will try..you can try to boot into Safe Mode..

Restart in Safe mode

Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...Booting into Safe Mode will take 3-30 minutes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, thanks ashik. I have disconnected the firewire and restarted the system in safe mode. It is currently in the process of loading. As it is now 1.45 in the morning. If it does not start up within the next 15min or so. i may leave it for another day.
I will let you know either way if the system loads or i head to bed.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can you please leave me with the details to use from the next step. The computer is loading however the reason for the original disk image of this macbook is overheating issue. Of which is now at 64 degrees with smfan control set at full capacity. I will be happy to review your response in the morning. Thank you once again for your assistance and for not giving up.
Be in touch
Stuart
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
You are using the Original discs came with this Macbook. Right ?