Ed
Ed, Computer Tech
Experience:  Computer repair shop partner
6518536

cant eject a disk. followed the instructions as to how to

can't eject a disk. followed the instructions as to how to eject, but nothing work... the disk will not come out. what can I do??
thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ed replied 3 years ago.

ed08724 :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please reply back if a solution doesn't help immediately.

ed08724 :

some MAC drive have a small hole in them. if you see one the size of a paperclip, unbend a paperclip until it is straight and push it into the hole and it will open. You will have to use a little force

Customer:

I only see one small hole and it's not located near the disk slot. It's located center bottom (just under the power plug. Is this what you mean?

ed08724 :

no it would be by the drive

Customer:

there's no hole near the drive

ed08724 :

did you select eject from the file menu

Customer:

yes

Customer:

when I put a disk in, it always shows in the form of a icon on my desktop. With this disk however, no icon shows

ed08724 :

shut down the machine and turn it back on while holding the mouse button down. Continue holding it pressed until either the CD ejects or it gets to the login

Customer:

ok

Customer:

didn't work

ed08724 :

click the application folder then utilities

Customer:

ok, I'm there

ed08724 :

click terminal

Customer:

ok

ed08724 :

type drutil tray eject

Customer:

did as told... the drive made a couple of noises but no eject

ed08724 :

its really stuck in there then. It must not be seated correctly. Is you drive just an opening like a mail slot or does it have a door

Customer:

mailslot

ed08724 :

You can try to pull it out with tweezers of something similar. Turn off the MAC before doing it though

ed08724 :

is this a laptop or a desktop

Customer:

opening isn't wide enough to allow tweezers.

Customer:

it's a desktop

ed08724 :

can you turn the MAC upside down while still on and execute that same command in terminal

Customer:

I'll try

ed08724 :

be careful. don' want to make things worse

Customer:

nope,still not out

Customer:

also no icon on my desktop

ed08724 :

is the cd valuable

Customer:

I mean, an icon showing the disk

Customer:

no, not at all

ed08724 :

put the mac back right side up and try to stick a very thin nail file or something similar in on top of the cd and press down and try to pull it out

Customer:

do I need to turn the computer off first>

ed08724 :

yes

Customer:

ok

ed08724 :

other option is if mac is light enough with power off pick it up with cd slot facing downwards and shake it.

Customer:

finally managed to get it out, although I'm a little concerned sticking a nail file in there. But it's out. My computer is relatively new and a guilded the disk in gently.... any idea why this happened?

ed08724 :

either it was in upside down, not seated correctly, there were 2 CDs in there on top of each other (try to eject again) or the CD was warped or mis sized

Customer:

ok, well thanks for your help... would not have attempted to stick a file in the slot. Take care.

Ed, Computer Tech
Experience: Computer repair shop partner