Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ and Cisco certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs
23822421

I bought an Imac last month (I am British but currently live

I bought an Imac last month (I am British but currently live in Brazil). I had a Macbook before that, the hard disc of which failed. I had a Time Machine back up, so I loaded the back up onto the new iMac with no problems, and it was fine until yesterday.

I tried to open Entourage, and I got a message saying that there was an error and that I should reload the program. I think I got confused, as what I did was get out an older disk version of Snow Leopard (about a year old - the one I loaded the Macbook with) and loaded it.

Result was a grey screen with an Apple image in the middle. Tried rebooting a number of times, without any success. I cant use the iMac since then - just boots up with this grey screen.

What to do ?

thanks XXXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 3 years ago.
Please remember to scroll down and click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if we solve the issue, for me to be paid :-) Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit/debit/PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

Please restart the computer in Safe Mode following the steps below:

1- Turn off your Mac

2- Turn it on and press and HOLD the SHIFT key on the keyboard, until you see "Safe Boot" on the login window.

3- Wait for Mac OS X to be completely loaded. (sometimes it's fast, other times it can take a while, like 10 or 15 minutes)

4- Restart the computer in normal mode.

IF NO LUCK, please let me know if you have the Mac OS X installation disc.

Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

Experience: I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ and Cisco certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs