Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

on my mac laptop i forgot my password XXXXX and i cannot get

on my mac laptop i forgot my password XXXXX and i cannot get past the user/pw screen to reboot into admin mode.....help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

You can reset the administrator password XXXXX the Mac OS X installation disks

• Insert the Mac OS X installation disc 1 to your Mac.
  • Turn off your Mac
  • Turn it back on and immediately hold down the C key on your Keyboard.
  • This should boot your Mac directly into Mac OS X installation screen
  • Choose your Language and click Next button.
  • Choose Reset Password from the Utilities menu
  • Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.Select the user name of your original administrator account
  • Enter a new password XXXXX Click Save.
  • Restart your Mac

Let me know if that didn't worked..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i do not have a cd for rebooting!
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Don't you have the Mac OS X installation discs came with your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, i do not
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
If you don't have the discs, then you can create a new user account from Single User Mode. Then login to that new account and you can change the password XXXXX your old account.

Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.

• Reboot your Mac
  • Immediately hold download the Command(Apple) + S key to boot into Single User Mode
  • When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line):
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should have a brand new Administrator account. Then goto XXXXX > Accounts, select your old account and change the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account. Let me know if that didn't worked..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when i open the laptop it immediately goes to the password XXXXX and will not reboot while holding down the apple and s keys
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down those keys before it goes to the password XXXXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do you turn it off???
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hold down the Power button until it turns off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where is the power button???
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Can't you see the power button of your Mac ? It's under your screen.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when i do power down and back up it still comes up with the u must authenicate to unlock the screen
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Did you turn off your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the power button doesn't even light on or off when i press it

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hold the Power button down until your Mac turns off. Make sure it is turned off. Then put your fingers on the Command key and S key. Turn it on by pressing the power button and immediately hold down the Command key and S key. Keep the keys held down until it shows a console like window.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok i think i got it but now i see guest account and user account so do i need to start over?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Keep trying until you get into a screen like this
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok i have that screen now

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

(Make sure you write the command correctly)
After rebooting, you should be able to create a new Administrator account. Then goto XXXXX > Accounts, select your old account and change the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account. Let me know if that didn't worked..

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc