David Kirk
David Kirk, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  4+ yrs personal use experience, 2+ yrs Mac technical support experience, 13+ yrs desktop experience.
32665769

I really wanted to download Gimp a free design application,

Customer Question

I really wanted to download Gimp a free design application, but I found out that when the first owner of this computer did the install they did not include something called "X11". I called but they no longer have the proper install dvd to give me. I found X11 on the apple website but I am 52MB short of available hard drive to download it. They are several programs I do not use on my mac but when I try to get rid of them the warning says it could corrupt my system?! Is garage band really crucial to my Mac's operation? What else can I get away with throwing out to create the space I need?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David Kirk replied 5 years ago.

David Kirk :

Welcome to Just Answer.

David Kirk :

Garageband isn't necessary for your Mac to run. However, there is one thing you can do first to clean up a lot of space. OS X includes language files that aren't needed if you only plan to use English. You can download a program called Monolingual that will remove these other language files. It is available at http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/.

Customer:

Oooh, thanks. Do you think the language files alone will free up 53MB? Any other big useless file you can think of? And your saying it is safe to ignore the corruption warnings when deleting packaged applications that came with the OS if I have never used them?

David Kirk :

Yep, you can just drag it to the trash. If you don't have the install disk, you may want to hold off on deleting it in case you ever end up wanting to use it.

David Kirk :

Removing the extra languages should free up at least 200-300 MB.

David Kirk :

Also, you can search for the largest files on your Mac by using the a utility called GrandPerspective to scan your hard drive. It's available at http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/. This will allow you to find what files and folders are consuming most of your space.

Customer:

Thanks Kirk...very helpful. I am happy to be accept #122. Thanks again!

David Kirk :

If you have a lot of media files (pictures, movies, music, etc), that is probably what is consuming the most space.