Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

My Ipad will not sync my music. I get all my apps, photos

Customer Question

My Ipad will not sync my music. I get all my apps, photos and books, but no music.

Bobby
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

What version iOS is on your iPad currently? Also, what version iTunes are you running on your PC?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ipad version is 4.3.2 and Itunes is 10.2.1.1
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
There's a recent update to Itunes. 10.2.2. Please update this and try again. Also, make sure you're not overloading the iPad with too many songs. Try to sync just a few songs first as a test.

Thank you. Reply back if this does not work for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I downloaded the latest version of Itunes and tried to sync 63 songs and got nothing.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Are all the songs in the iTunes library on the computer?

If not, then connect your iPad, in iTunes right click on the iPad under the Devices lists and transfer the purchases. After, hopefully all songs transfer, connect your iPad, select it in iTunes, and double check the Music sync options.

Sync.

If the music is on the computer, can you play it on the computer?

If you can't it should ask you to authorize the computer to play the music. Do so using the same iTunes account you use for your iPad. Then like before, connect the iPad, check settings, and sync.

Please let me know if this helps, or not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
None of that worked, I can sinc all my apps.

When I restored my Ipad, I restored it as a new divice instead of from back up, I don't know if that had anyting to do with my problem.

My music is on my computer and it plays well.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Try a restore from backup and see if you can get the music syncing back.

Let me know how that goes.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Additionally-Please check that your iPad is authorized with iTunes (there's a 5 computer/iPad/iPod limit) and you have logged into iTunes with the correct Apple ID as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Restoring from backup did not work. My computer is authorized.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Is this an iPad 1 or iPad 2?

Are these particular songs ones that you have downloaded from the iTunes Store?

Also, please review this criteria:
  • Sync Music - If you uncheck this, no music will be downloaded to your iPad. Keep it checked to be able to choose what music you'll carry with you.
  • Sync Entire Library does exactly what it sounds like it should. This only works if your iPad's storage is bigger than your library, of course. If not, you'll get some, but not all, of your music.
  • Sync Selected playlists, artists, and genres lets you decide what music gets downloaded to your iPad.
    If you choose this option, iTunes will download only certain music to your iPad. Sync playlists by checking the boxes on the left or all music by particular artists by checking the boxes on the right. Sync all music in a particular genre by clicking the boxes at the bottom.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My Ipad is 1.

I have had as many as 13,000 songs on this Ipad without a problem and had plenty of space left. This problem just started lately.

I have 63 songs checked to sync now, and none get to my Ipad. I watch the screen as It is syncing and it says "updating library" for a few seconds and then changes to "no music".

I have a PC and am running Window 7.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Try resetting your iPad by pressing the home and sleep buttons until you see the Apple logo, ignoring the slider. Takes about 5-15 secs of button holding and you won't lose any data or settings.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried that, did not work.

Must go, will read your response later.

Thank you
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
I'll opt out so another Expert can have a look at this. Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 3 years ago.

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

What I understand is that you are not able to sync your music, but everything else syncs fine, correct?

I need a bit more information from you before I can guide you. Let's connect the ipad to the computer and open itunes. To the left side of the itunes, your ipad name will be listed under "devices". Just click on the ipad name and now to the middle of the screen, you will find a number of tabs such as Summary, Info, Apps, Photos, Music etc. Just click on Summary and scroll down. There is an option called "manually manage music". Is that checked or not checked?

Also, are you able to play the music from the computer?

Thank You

Vinod

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Vinod

I checked the box "manually mange music" and then unchecked it and was able to sync my music. Can you explain why that worked?

Thank you

Good to know that you are able to sync music now..:)

If the "manually manage" option is checked, you will not be able to sync music automatically. That is, clicking on "sync" or "sync music" or "sync only selected songs" will no effect. In the manual mode, we can sync songs only by dragging and dropping the songs into the ipad.

Hope this information helps.

Thank You
Vinod
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products