Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Out of the blue my ipad is asking for a guest access password.

Customer Question

Out of the blue my ipad is asking for a guest access password. I don't have one that I know of. I am also asked for my Passcode each time I try to go on line. Something else that has never happened before. I do have a" passcode" but that doesn't work when I'm asked for a guest access password. What is the difference between a passcode and password? My Wi-Fi network is Greencheetah, but in "general" GreenCheetah-guest is checked. GreenCheetah has a lock showing.
Thanks,
Total frustrated that I'm not able to get on the network with my ipad.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 3 years ago.

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

Did you mean it is asking for a password XXXXX you are trying to access safari?

Try this anyway. Go to settings > general > reset > reset network settings. This will restart your ipad. Once it is back on, go to settings > wifi and select your network.

Let me know whether this helps.

Thank You

Vinod

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I followed your steps. When I select GreenCheetah network I am asked for a password. I don't have a GreenCheetah password. Have never been asked before in the year I've had the iPad. Note: you are indicated as an iPod specialist. I am on an iPad.

I can also help you with iPad, iPhone and iTunes.

Your GreenCheetah network is protected with a password. That is why you are being asked for it. Have you recently changed something in the router such as the security etc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No.

That is strange. As you said, it is out of the blue...:(

Let's try the power cycle here. Turn off your ipad and your router. Wait for 2 minutes. Then turn on your router. After another minute, turn on your ipad. Then try to connect.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did as you suggested. It still asks for my GreenCheetah password. Is there a way to reset my GreenCheetah password?

Which router do you use?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Linksys E1000
Give me one moment here. Let me check their user guide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay

Before we change the security options, just select the GreenCheetah network on the ipad and use "password" (excluding the quotes) as the password.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Get the message, "Unable to join the network 'Green Cheetah'

Okay. Let's open any internet browser in your computer and type in 192.168.1.1

A login screen will appear. Keep the username field blank and type password XXXXX "admin" (excluding the quotes). You will get a router configuration screen. Click on the "Wireless" link there and go to basic settings where you will see the wifi protected setup. Just check whether any security such as "wpa" or "wep" is selected there

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What comes up is Verizon with three panels: My Modem, My Network and Action Zone. I see no place to log in. Did I enter the number you sent in the right place--the address space: http.......?

Yes. just type 192.168.1.1

or else type

my.E1000

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Using my.E1000, I get a login space. When I put in my Name as my email address and password XXXXX try to log in, it's not accepted.
don't use your name. just leave the username blank and type password XXXXX "admin"
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still not accepted. The message is, "The user name or password XXXXX entered for area E1000 on my.e.!000:80 was incorrect. Make sure you are entering them correctly and try again"

You have kept nothing in the username and typed "admin" in password XXXXX correct? If that does not help, then that password XXXXX XXXXX too. May be resetting the router to factory settings would help. But I am not sure how to do that as I am not a router specialist. You may need to contact your router manufacturer for this.

You can also go through the user guide http://homedownloads.cisco.com/downloads/others/e1000_ug.pdf

I will also opt out so that some other experts with knowledge in linksys router can help you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Vinod. Do I stay on line and wait or should I proceed as you suggest by contacting the router mfgr?
You need not stay online. If any specialist responds, you will get an email message. You can check back later and reply to them
In the meanwhile, you may also contact linksys to find the password.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

HI,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the Networking experts here at Just Answer.

Can you tell me how many wireless machines you have other than the iPad and can you tell me if you have a computer that is connected to your LInksys by a network cable?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Eric, Sorry I've been away for awhile. The iPad is the only wireless device I have. I have an iMac which is connected to the Linksys by a network cable. My problem is that without warning the ipad is asking for a guest password. Because I don't have a GreenCheetah guest password XXXXX I'm aware of, I cannot connect to the network. How do I get a password XXXXX change it in the event that at some point I had one?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

To get your password XXXXX you go to your iMac and then can you open an Internet Browser Window and type http://192.168.1.1 then hit enter to open the routers login page.

When prompted type your admin username and password ( If you have not changed it just leave the username blank and enter admin as the password XXXXX if you cannot get in can you try admin for the username and admin for the password)

When you get logged into the router can you click the Wireless tab then click the Wireless Security link under the Wireless tab and your password XXXXX be listed so you can write it down and tape it to the bottom of the router in case you need it in the future.

Try that and let us know if you have any issues or if you cannot complete the instructions so we can try something else or clarify for you.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Something's come up. I'll have to try this tomorrow.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

No worries,

Just take your time and let me know if you run into any issues

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not having any luck with your last suggestion. I find that writing back and forth so frustrating. It's complicated because I'm a novice. Can we talk by phone?(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry but we only work in this format and cannot contact customers directly.

If you wish to continue can you tell me how you got on with the instructions I posted.

Thanks

Experience: IEEE, Microsoft
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I indicated above that I didn't have any luck with your suggestion. I'm ready to go elsewhere for help. Thanks for the effort you have put into my problem. Sorry it hasn't been resolved. I will Accept Answer below and authorize payment.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Thank you,

I am sorry that I was not able to help this time

Thanks