Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

my macbook is very slow and sometimes wont respond at all

my macbook is very slow and sometimes won't respond at all when clicking to open programs
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sometime in the past two weeks. The only changes that I am aware of over the past few weeks is that I downloaded the Mac keeper program
Follow the basic troubleshooting steps below and see if that works or not...

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know how it goes....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Ashik

Thanks my computer seems to be much better than before. I only used solution 1 and it has made a difference. Do you recommend I also try the other solutions as well ?

Great ! Yes, try the Disk Utility, that should fix the System Files and improve speed.