Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Is there a way to retrieve deleted text messages from my i-phone

Customer Question

Is there a way to retrieve deleted text messages from my i-phone after I have already synced it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

To be honest as long as you have backed up your phone recently it should be possible to retrieve your messages from the computer backup of the iPhone.

So can you go to the machine that you performed your last phone backup on and then can you follow this link to the Generals site and follow the instructions to download and install TextPad and the search for and see if you can retrieve your texts from your backup file http://riactant.wordpress.com/2009/05/02/retrieving-deleted-text-messages-from-your-iphone/

If you would try that and let us know if you have any issues or need any clarification

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Eric,

I am confused. Do I look in text pad after I download, or do I need to plug in my phone to computer?

Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Once you have textpad downloaded you will be using it to read the backup file from your computer not from the phone.

So if you have textpad installed can you then open the TextPad program and click Search and then click Find in Files and a search box should open.

If you can then look at the first screenshot posted at the generals site and fill in your search box exactly the same as it looks on screen http://riactant.wordpress.com/2009/05/02/retrieving-deleted-text-messages-from-your-iphone/

Once you have it filled in the same can you then clcik find and you should then see the results in the textpad application, Be warned it may look like garbage letters and symbols, however if you scroll through you will see your text messages so you should then be able to read and retrieve them.

Let me know how you get on

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says cannot find literal string. I copied and pasted it

Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

If you click start then computer and click the user folder can you tell me what it shows in the folder for user names?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see computer, not computer folder

Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Can you click start then click computer then click C and then open the user folder and tell me what names it shows?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry, I am not computer savvy, do u mean Devices and Hard disk drives. when i clicked C in search computer, all kinds of stuff came up Maybe I should call you???
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Can you click start and then click computer, When you do that another window should open up that shows your computers drives listed such as C, D etc

Can you double click the c drive and a new view will open that contains a lot of folders can you find the folder called users and then double click it and tell me what it says when it opens?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One says Becky with a padlock i-con

One says Public

Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Great,

In that case can you copy and paste this string into the string

C:\users\Becky\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\backup

Once you do that let me know if you can then search and find your texts or if you get an error

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says cannot find literal string

Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Can you verify that under find what that you entered newest_message

then in files did you type *.*

then did you tell it to look in C:\users\Becky\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\backup

Then did you fill in the conditions the same as it shows in the conditions report detail and check the search subfolders checkbox?

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Now when I type find, it says all or part of path is invalid. I am going to try again tommorow. It's getting late. I will pay u as soon as we figure it out.

Thanks for all of your help!!!

Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

No worries,

Just let me know tomorrow when you are ready to pick this up as we need to find what may be wrong with the directory path

C:\users\Becky\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\backup as ther is something off slightly and by taking it a step at a time we should be able to find the correct path.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Eric,

I tried this morning, it worked, almost. Now, when i double click under search results, it won't allow me to click or double click. So, i closed the window and tried again. In lower left hand corner "tool output" and at bottom it says "found 3 occurrences" but, I cannot seem to open it

Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Did the search look like the second picture in the link I gave you?

If so can you tell me if anything happens when you double click one of the file names?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Eric, I finally got it to open. I had three different lines. I spent hours looking and had several deleted ones retrieved.
But not the ones I needed. Do you think I could have encrypted some accidentally? I had ones right before and after the ones I needed. Sorry to be such a pain. Long story short, if I don't find the info I need I may have to make an expensive business trip, as I don't even have phone numbers I need. Is there anything else I can do?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Umm,

I dont think that you encrypted any of your messages unless you had a secure texting app on your iPhone.

Is the mahcine you are on the only one you have backed your iPhone up to or have you synched your iPhone with any other machine that there may be a backup on?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I haven't gotten back with you, my Mother fell and has been in hospital...they live in the boonies, no Internet service. I have synced it on my old computer, got a new one about a month ago. But, there were deleted texts on there from 2009 that I saw. So....I don't think that is an issue. Could I have encrypted some texts and not others???
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

Sorry to say but as I mentioned above the only way to encrypt the texts is if you used a third party texting application as it is not possible to encrypt the texts on an iPhone without one.

Honestly what may have happened is that you received and deleted the texts between the times you synced your iPhone so that is why they are not there,

Had the texts been on your phone the other programs you tried would have gotten your texts back and according to what you are describing it sounds like they were never backed up to your PC.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear and I hate to be the baearer of bad news, But I have a horrible feeling you will not be able to recover them.

If you would like me to opt out and see if another expert may have an idea let me know

Thanks

Experience: IEEE, Microsoft
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I appreciate all of your help. At least I know we did all we could. Thanks for your patience:)
Expert:  Claws224 replied 3 years ago.

You are more than welcome.

I am just sorry I was unable to help you get what you needed.

Thanks